Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an antique grandfather clock by Kohn & Sons circa

Customer Question
I have an antique grandfather...
I have an antique grandfather clock by Henry Kohn & Sons circa 1820 in really good shape and wondered the value?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have an appraisal from the 1980's saying it is museum quality and values it at 12,000
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: No
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Antiques
6/15/2017
Antique Expert: Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary replied 5 months ago
Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

I sent photo with question
Please just advise via this forum

Henry Kohn and Sons was a retailer, not clock maker, which was in business in Hartford, CT from 1893 - 1951. Your clock was retailed or sold through their shop.

Does the movement of your clock have the maker name inscribed on it?

~Nora

What is the maker name inscribed on the movement? ~Nora

Henry Kohn & Sons
CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME AN ANSWER TO MY QUESTION

I am not able to find a match to a clock maker from 1820 by the name of Henry Kohn & Sons. There was a retailer, not a clock maker, by that name in business from 1893 - 1951.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 5 months ago
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Hi my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you on this item. Please allow me to review the photos and research the current value. I will post back here when completed. No later then this evening as it will take time to research this and find the most current value. Beautiful clock and looks to be museum quality as you stated. Thank you I look forward to helping you. Tanya
I anxiously await your reply.
Antique Expert: LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser replied 4 months ago

Thank you for your patience this has been a project. The Henry Kohn & Sons company started in 1893 and closed in 1951. However the clocks were made ordered with the name of Henry Kohn & Sons on them from Seth Thomas. This clock is indeed 1820s period and carried the name of Henry Kohn and Sons as the maker. this is what keeps the clock in a rare and high valued status. Henry and Seth were friends and business colleagues that maintained top quality and top price. The clock you have in todays market carries a value of 16,000.00 to 18000.00 The appraised value of 12000.00 in the 1980s would have been correct and todays value of 16-18,000.00 is due to the economy slowed and such if you can hold onto this clock it will only increase and becme more valuable as the economy turns up. To insure this clock it would be insured for 18,000.00 in the quality it is and working condition. I have taken the photos and enlarged them to see if damage of any possible defects and found none. I appreciate your patience and thank you for allowing me time to research this clock and dig deeper to find out how it carried the name and how it tied into the date of production. Thank you if I may be of further help please let me know. i enjoyed researching this piece for you.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars: 1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions

Hello I wanted to check back and make sure I had helped you fully . if I can answer any further questions on this clock for you please let me know. Thank you Tanya
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser