Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have found some silverware marking W H Max kuner, I also

Customer Question

I have found some silverware marking W H Max kuner
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I also have Alvin sterling pat 1939 Chapel bell and just Alvin sterling
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: no
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-up offers. Thoughtful responses take time.
My responses are not instantaneous.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. If you cannot send photos, I can still work with your descriptions; however, I can give more accurate answers if I have photos.
Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of ONE whole fork showing the pattern.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

OR -

Site Help With Photos:

1-***-***-****

The Help service with photos does not cost extra. This is not the same as the pop-up that asks about phone calls. The pop-up is an extra phone call service related to the appraisal, not photos.

I do not send pop-up offers.

"Complete Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.

!!!!!Please do not send photos of the whole set. I cannot tell what pieces are in a set via such a photo!!!!

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am trying my best to send pictures to you
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Please do not hurry!

Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

********************
I do not normally participate in the extra charge phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. I did not send the pop-up offer.

********************

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here are some pictures that I am able to send
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

I received photos of two sets of marks but I did not see the rest of the marks on chapel bells.

Then there was a photo of a few pieces of silver. What are these?

I need a photo of the pattern for the Max Kuner.

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

You have entered a photo of a third pattern - one by Rogers. It is a stretch for me to take two separate sets in one single question. I cannot take three.

I need a photo of the Max Kuner pattern.

Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Again, there is no hurry at this end.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Here is what you asking for
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the photos of the Max Kuner info.

Now I need the information requested below for BOTH of the two sets separately:

Please tell me the following -

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
just that 1
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

I piece only of the W H?

Please tell me about the Alvin set.

How many people does it serve?

How many pieces does each person have at his plate.

What serving pieces are there?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There are five soup spoon of the Alvin 1939 Chapel Hill and one fork Alvin 1939 Chapel Hill
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

The W & H sterling sugar shell is by Wood & Hughes and was retailed by the Seattle company of Max Kuner. The pattern is fiddle and thread. It dates late 19thC/early 20thC.

It has an estimated retail value of $120-135.

The Chapel Bells sterling pattern is by Alvin. It was introduced in 1939.

The soup spoons have an estimated retail value of $36 each. The fork has an estimated retail value of $39.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees-20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you These where found in a storage locker so it is good to know these things thank you.
Expert:  Doris replied 4 months ago.

You are welcome.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.