Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Doris - This miniature Tea Pot is painted over brass. Inside

Customer Question

For Doris Only
Hi Doris - This miniature Tea Pot is painted brown over brass. Inside there is a fine screen with a tack in the center to hold something? It measures 3.25" from spout to side, and has a diam. of 2.5" and stands 3.25". There are 4 round hollow beads for feet. Any ideas?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Thank you again for your patience.

The bottom looks as though it was suspended over a fire or hot coals.

I see a screen on the outside bottom. Is there one inside as well. Does this screen appear to be lined with solid metal so that the pot could hold liquid? If so, is the solid liner above or below the screen?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is only one screen in the bottom and the is a tack in the center. There is no way it could liquid without flowing through the screen? And its strange that it has a spout. It is also VERY small.
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

Look down inside to see if the tack could have held something inside?

Could the outside tack have held a lid on the bottom.

It definitely was meant for pouring so there must have been a way to close off the bottom.

It looks to me that the most logical scenario is for there to have been a sort of lid under the screen on the bottom.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
There is only one screen and one tack and the tack certainly could have held something.
Expert:  Doris replied 3 months ago.

We need to assume that there was a moveable lid beneath the screen.

The lid would have lowered to clean out the remaining contents of the little pot so it can be cleaned. Otherwise, it is so small that it could not be properly cleaned.

This little piece appears to be too small to be what the English call a bachelor teapot (for one person).

However it is hard for me to envision size. Looking at this in person, could it have held one cup of tea?

Kind regards,

Doris