Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an Adam's style mirror with delicate wirework,

Customer Question
I have an Adam's style...
I have an Adam's style wood mirror with delicate wirework, scrolling and swags. I haven't found the exact one searching on line, but have found very similar - Friedman Brothers for example. I took part of the back off and 1939 is on the back of the mirror insert.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: it is carved wood with an urn on to with a spray of wheat. it is 24" wide and 42 inches high. It is a horizontal oval
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Antiques
5/16/2017
Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 6 months ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.
Do you have pictures you can send?
.
Please note, I do not send any pop up offers of any kind.
Appraisers do not make offers of any nature.

.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Did you get the photo?

Hello

Yes, I am looking up the value now in my books. Be right back

Hi, my name is Glenda,

This is your answer please read entirely, if you have no further questions after reading this please rate me. Appraisers are independent, we come to the site to answer questions customers post there. We answer then are rated by the customer for our professionalism to the customer. Once rated we are then compensated by the site for our time, at no cost to the customer.
.
I have been in the antique business for over 45 years, Appraising, Antique shop owner, also buying and selling on today's current market. it is my pleasure to put my experience to work for you.
.
The Adam's style wood mirror with delicate wire work, scrolling and swags circa: 1930's has an estimated value on the current market for an average of $700.00-825.00 depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you need values for. Just send to "Glenda Only" I would be happy to help.
.
Glenda,
.
Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. They should be located top right of the page. Or you may see review expert or rate expert, you can click on that. This is the only way I get credit for my work.
.
If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.
.

Is this a friedman brother's replica of an actual Adam's mirror. I am under the impression that those only date back about 25 years. I haven't found this identical shaped mirror, but have found very similar (replicas) for 1,200, with the original antique pieces being as high as 11,000+. What information regarding my particular mirror places it in the 700-825 area?
The mirror is in perfect condition which makes me wonder if it is the original mirror, or maybe it was replaced at some point. the back of the mirror had cardboard and paper (which was brown, flaky and falling off) that was intact beneath the wires to hang it.
when I said the mirror was in perfect condition, I mean the actual looking glass part.
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 6 months ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

I see that you requested a new expert.

This is a circa 1990's Friedman Brothers Adam-style mirror

with wirework, urn, swags, wheat and acanthus details in shape number 1939.

This mirror you have was painted gold originally and someone

repainted it in silver. I do not think the mirror glass was replaced since these mirrors

are not typically very old and the glass in most is still quite clear.

This mirror has a current value of $1500 to $1700 retail.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. Bonuses are also welcome!
If you need more help, the question thread will stay open so that we can still talk about this item even after you have left a rating.

The last appraiser said 700 - 825. Why the huge discrepancy? and how do I know now? :)

I go by recent actual sales for similar pieces to attain my value. The Adams and the Natchez styles (both similar) by Friedman Brothers sell in this price range in good condition.

I hope that helps explain it better.

Please do click the five stars and hit submit .

This is the only way the expert is credited separately for answering.

Rarewares
Rarewares