Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have my grandmother's Elgin pendant watch. The web site

Customer Question

I have my grandmother's Elgin pendant watch. The web site shows this info from the serial #. Trying to appraise for insurance.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Serial Number SN Range Quanty Name Year grade size code jewels Adj/reg/etc.
-------------- -------- ------ ---- ---- ----- ---- ------ ------ ------------
(###) ###-#### (###) ###-#### 1000 1893 174* 0s h3n1p 17j ? e
1041 of 2200 in grade; 1041 of Elgin patent regulator in 0sgrade total runs first yr last yr class size code jewels Adj/name
----- ----- ----- -------- ------- ----- ---- ------ ------ ----------
174 2200 3 1891 1896 57 0s h3n1p 17j ?(*) notes on grade 174: first 0s Elgin patent regulatorClass 57: 0s HC 3/4 pend model 1
112 2800 made 17j Adj
174 2200 made 17j ?**** UNKNOWN DATA LISTED! UPDATE DATABASE IF POSSIBLE ****
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Looks like it was made between 1891 & 1896. 17 jewels
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 4 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help.
Please use the Add Files feature to add pictures of the watch, dial, inner case (where there will be marks, words or symbols) and the movement.
The serial number on a watch is on the movement (gears area) and not on the case. Those are always two different numbers.

Add pictures one at a time( add one, hit send, then do the next).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

TO GET TO THE SERIAL NUMBER
To open the back cuvee( dust cover), you can use the edge of your fingernail or the edge of a

sharp knife at what would be the 2 o'clock position if you looked at the cuvee in terms of a clock face.

There is a raised lip in the region that allows for leverage to pop the case open.