Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I recently had an oak table refinished, solid oak cross-cut

Customer Question

I recently had an oak table refinished, solid oak cross-cut grain, wonder about the estimated value
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: well it is pedestal round table, was built to have leaves but don't have them. it is shorter than standard height and greater diameter than typical round table.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I recently had an oak table refinished, solid oak cross-cut grain, four feet solid oak. The person working on it sawed the feet off (his idea for raising the height), he re-attached them but now it has seams. he wants to charge me 750 for the job. I need to know how much he degraded the value with his mistake.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help.
Please post pictures of the item(s) and any maker's marks by clicking the Add Files link.
The Add Files feature will prompt you to locate the file you'd like to attach from your computer.
You can repeat this process to attach more than one picture, best to add one,
write the word picture in the text box, hit send, then do the next.