Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I have a Shirk North Star ice box. It is tall and heavy. It

I have a Shirk North Star ice box. It is tall and heavy. It has 3 doors and lined with galvanized metal. Looking for some history and value Thanks
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Retired. Just loved this piece I found on craigslist
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It has brass "handles or locks" and a brass plate on th

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I viewed the instructions to add photo and do not find the "reply to expert". Please help

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok

You can also contact me directly. ~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi Nora,
Did you receive the images I sent?

I have not yet received images.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I sent pics as directed via the website directed to your attn.???

There is now one image of the plaque attached here that I can see. Do you have one that shows the entire front of this as well?

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.

Excellent thank you. Are there feet at the bottom or just a squared off pediment base?

Thank you for the images and for your patience.

This is a late 19th century Victorian styled ice chest or ice box. G.M. Shirk Company was actively producing and selling these 'refrigerators' in the 1890s, which is when yours dates to as well. They then moved on to producing bicycles mainly. Thus yours is considered 'rare'. The hardware is done in a distinctive Victorian style and the surface decoration on the doors is also not seen on most ice boxes of this type. High sale value is $2200 on today's market.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Nora ... Great news

You are welcome and my pleasure to be of help to you here.

In the meantime, if you could please take a moment to leave a rating for my services here by clicking the stars, I would really appreciate it.

This question thread will not close after a rating is left.

Thank you!

~Nora