Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Floor lamp Dossen et cir 1892 value. floor lamp about four

Customer Question

floor lamp Henry Dossen et cir 1892 value.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: floor lamp about four feet high in excellent condition
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: just looking to see what the value is.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 1 year ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

The site representatives have notified us that you want a new professional.

Is this correct?

Are you unable to send a photo?

Is the maker actually the Parisan named Dasson, not Dassen?

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the name signed at the bottom of the lamp is Henry Dasson.
Expert:  Doris replied 1 year ago.

See:

"Henry Dasson (1825–1896) was a renowned nineteenth century Parisian maker of gilt-bronze mounted furniture. Unlike other cabinetmakers of the time Dasson began his career as a bronze sculptor, and consequently one characteristic of his work is the quality of his bronze and more precisely of the chiselling.

His Paris workshop was situated at 106 rue Vieille-du-Temple, where he specialised in the production of Louis XIV, XV and XVI style furniture using the finest gilt-bronze mounts.

In 1871, he purchased the flourishing business and remaining stock of Charles-Guillaume Winckelsen, known for the high quality of his furniture. It has been suggested that Dasson inherited the craft of ciseleur from Winckelsen.

At the 1878 and 1889 Paris Expositions Universelles Dasson exhibited a number of pieces in the Louis XV and XVI styles, as well as pieces of his own modified eighteenth-century design. The exhibits in 1878 included a table entirely in gilt-bronze, purchased by Lord Dudley. His copy of the celebrated Bureau du Roi sold at the same exhibition to Lady Ashburton.

Dasson ceased production in 1894, and at this time held a sale of his models, listed in 'Catalogues of drawings for art bronzes, style furniture and important decoration with rights of reproduction by Henry Dasson et Cie, manufacturer of art bronzes and cabinetmaker as a result of cessation of production..' The records from this sale show that Paul Sormani, as well as Joseph Emmanuel Zweiner, Maison Millet and Beurdeley acquired certain drawings and models by Dasson."

Source: Wikipedia

As you can see, Dasson could not have made electric floor lamps.

Yours is either by one of those who bought his patterns/designs or one made by Dasson and later converted to electricity.

Or is it a gas or oil floor lamp?

It would be helpful to have a photo. If you can send one then these are the directions. If you cannot send a photo, please tell me more about the lamp.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris