Antiques

Have antique repair questions? Ask an antiques appraiser

I need to know the value of a book I have. The Imperial

Customer Question
I need to know...

I need to know the value of a book I have. The Imperial Highway:or the road to fortune and Happiness with Biographies of Self made men. by Jerome Paine Bates. Hard cover. Chicago: The Nat'l Library Assoc. 1887

Expert's Assistant: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.

I need to know the value of a book I have. The Imperial Highway;or the road to Happiness with Biographies of Self made men. By Jerome Paine Bates. Chicago: The Nat'l Library Assoc. 1887

Expert's Assistant: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?

The book still has the velum to protect the photos. This book has been in the family since the early 1900's and was once donated to the local library, but never checked out. It is in extremely good condition.

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/21/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Personal Property Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Personal Property Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I may need to ask further details about your item or request photos before I can give an informed final answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,
Doris

I am afraid I do not have very good news.

Age is not a major factor in books if many copies were printed as there were with yours. In addition, condition is a major factor.

My research of current retail values indicates that your book, as described, has an estimated retail value of $30-45.

I truly wish I had better news.

How to sell books:
http://www.internetbookselling.com/sell-old-books.html

Ultimately, to obtain these retail values we assume the piece or set is in good condition and that the final value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system.

To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button. This allows me to be credited by JA for my Knowledge, Time and Effort.

Rating me does not cost you anything extra.

Bonuses are not required but are always appreciated.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.