Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I found a copy of The Toronto Saturday Star issued January

Customer Question

I found a copy of The Toronto Saturday Star issued January 1st 2000.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: i think it might be one of the last newspapers issued by the Toronto star
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It seems in perfect condition other than for some discolouration
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Is it the entire edition?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is the entire edition. Could you just give an idea as to the value. I'd rather not bother with a picture at this time. It was never read. Just purchased and saved.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No thanks. If you are not able to give me an appropriate value then I will leave it for today
Expert:  Doris replied 9 months ago.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Doris replied 9 months ago.

I do not participate in the phone call services. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. Please know, that is why I do not send pop ups.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Asoka, thank you Doris. I guess I was reading information and suggestions not from you. I will be patient and wait for your reply.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Not sure what that first word was
Expert:  Doris replied 9 months ago.

My research indicates the estimated retail value of your last edition of the Toronto Star would be $50-75 assuming good condition and depending on sale location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.