Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have a chest of drawers and a cane that I would like to

Customer Question

I have a chest of drawers and a cane that I would like to know the value of. I have pictures I can send. Do you have an email address so I can attach pictures?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Ronna,

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your chest of drawers.

Could you very kindly attach a photo of it and one of the dovetails

http://i.imgur.com/1IMLkO6.jpg

in the side of the drawers and any other close up detail you think I should see.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just to clarify do I tag on the email address above (http://i.imgur.com/1IMLk06.jpg) and attache pictures?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did you get my question about the email address to attach pictures?

This is the usual way to attach photos:

However, you can use imgur.com if you wish. Here's how.

Click on http://www.imgur.com/
(no need to 'sign in' or 'sign up' it makes it too complicated)
Click on "New Post"
Click on "Browse"
Select the pictures you want to send me from the box that pops up.
Hit "open".
Click on "Copy"
and paste it here where you are typing to me.

Hope this helps!

PS, There's no need to respond to any phone request, it will cost you an extra $34 which you don't need to pay. The phone requests appear to come from me, but do not, they are automatically generated by the site. I don't work for JustAnswer, I operate as an independent appraiser ‘on’ but not ‘for’ the site as a user like you, so have no control over what they put on your screen! So my apologies for that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for the tip about phone call. Will send pictures shortly.

Thanks, ***** ***** I'll be here whenever you're ready.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are pictures of the chest of drawers and cane. I will send dovetail in a few minutes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here is dovetail picture

Great photos, thanks so much! I can see exactly what you have.

(1) Cane.

This is an Irish blackthorn cane, thinner than the traditional shillelagh but made from the same wood, the blackthorn, complete with typical gnarls and thorns. The metal thumb cap and ferrule at the tip suggest an early 1900s date, circa 1920s at the newest and maybe older.

Irish blackthorn sticks are sought after. This one would sell at auction or on line (eBay etc) in the range of $60 - $100.

It therefore has a full retail value (if you saw it for sale in an antique store, say, of $200 which is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

(2) Chest of drawers.

That's great you added the image of the label. T.C.F.Co is/was the Tell City Furniture Company,Tell City, Indiana, in operation under that name from 1924. They were principally a chair manufacturer, however, in the late 1930s and early 1940s they added bedroom and dining room furniture to their range. So your dresser is circa 1938 - 1942. The photo of the dovetailing also confirms the date. This is machine cut joinery of the sort used from the 1920s on.

The date is also borne out by the style, which is a mix of Louis XV & Louis XVI rococo motifs, including the beautifully done herringbone (or quartered) veneer drawer fronts, and applied carved and scrolled molding.

It looks to be in excellent condition for one of these as so often the veneer has peeled away. (Just one year in non-temperature controlled storage, or in a garage, say, and a piece like this is usually ruined.)

Sadly the value of a dresser like this is not that great at the moment. This look is out of style, with collectors prefering the mid-Century modern Danish/Scandinavian pieces which are hot right now.

It still has a value, though. If you were to sell at a good antique auction it would fetch in the range of $200 - $300. It therefore has a full retail/replacement/insurance value of $600.

I do hope this helps!

Please let me know if you'd like me to explain or expand on any of the above, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank You.

You're very welcome, delighted to have helped.

When you get a moment could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert