AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a Tall Case Chinoiserie decorated grandfather clock

I have a Tall Case Chinoiserie decorated grandfather clock by Joseph Eayre, St Neots. I would like to know more about it.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Everything is original and would like to know more about the clock maker.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The base features a double plinth and further decoration. The hood has attached angle pillars with gilt wooden capitals, glazed access door and inspection windows to the side and arch top with pagoda and three gilt wooden finials.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks on the dial or movement.
The add files feature works best if you add one pic, add something like PIC 1 in the text box, hit send, then do the next.
Once you do add pictures, give me some time to research.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

I do not participate in the phone service but other experts will see the request if they choose to accept it.

Will you be able to add photos?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't know how to send pictures from my iphone except to an email. Is there an email address that I could forward pics.?

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-transfer-photo-my-phone-my-computer-hl

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

or

you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

I got your emails/photos yesterday. I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos, which I have added here from the emails you sent.

I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help. I'm going to research this for you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.

What a lovely clock! This is by Joseph Eayre, St Neots, England, circa 1765.

Is it working? If so, is it musical, or just a strike/gong/chime?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
It is working with all original parts and it is a strike/gong/chime.

Thanks.

This is a mid-18th century, likely 1765-1770, Japanned quarter-striking longcase clock by Joseph Eayre of St Neots, England.

Typically these are musical as well, so it's possible the clockworks have been replaced. The case is original.

At auction, I would estimate the value of this clock in the range of $10,000.0 to $15,000.00. For insurance purposes, it should be insured at a retail replacement value of no less than $20,000.00

If I have answered all your questions and helped you, please rate my answer. I am not paid by the site until you do. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer, and I will continue to be available if you have more questions on the item. Thank you.

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars. I always strive for 5 star service, but please rate as you feel is appropriate. However, if you are considering a low rating, please try to give me the opportunity to improve my service to you first!

If you’d like to request me for future questions, please put " for Jennifer only" in your post. I respond to requested questions first.

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Experience: Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.