LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

Tanya, Any information on the knife?

Tanya, Any information on the knife?

Hello yes and I had posted this on the last thread. Looking for the last thread I see it did not take or disappeared. I will go through my notebook and post my findings here so you have the information. Thank you for letting me know. I will post here promptly.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
OK, great! Thanks Tanya, I'm anxious to see what you found!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tanya, No response has come through yet. Not sure if one was sent, but just letting you know. Thanks
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tanya, I don't know if you have posted any more information on the knife, but nothing is coming through. Could you please check into this? They have charged me already so I don't understand what the problem is. Thank you

Hi I have posted this answer three times I will post again and check back today often until I know you have received it.

The maker has been a hard one to find but through comparables I believe I have found the maker. The knife you have is sterling silver as noted- it is marked sterling on the end of one side. The carver used gold and or sterling in his knives. You are correct no two knives made by Vergara were ever the same. Born in 1917 he died in 1987 and was well known for his intricate and beautiful knives- both kitchen and pocket knifes. The value on this knife you hold is $285.00 and was made in 1938-1945.00 The Korean war was 1950-1953 that you mentioned your dad brought this knife back when he was there. It is hand carved and very detailed. I do not know what the initials mean unless they were your dads initials HCD.

Luis Vergara was born and raised in Spain, Chile and Barcelona. He hand carved horn, sterling, gold and stainless to make pocket knives, kitchen knives and jack knives. You have a knife that has been well takne care of and most of his knives were sold with a leather case for it to be kept in. Over time the case may have been lost or worn out.

Thank you for sharing this beautiful knife and if I may be of further help please let me know I am happy to help.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi Tanya, Yes it finally came through! I checked every day, but all that ever came through was them wanting me to ask another question, which left me discouraged. Thank you for all the information you were able to find, it's very much appreciated. Now I finally know this mans name! The initials on the knife were my Grandfathers, Herbert Clarence Dean. My Father brought it back from Korea as a gift for him and had his initials carved into it. Thank you again for all your research, it was a pleasure working with you! Becky :)

Hi Becky wonderful i am glad I was able to help you and will be happy to help if you have other questions in the future. If you would like to have me help please put forCustomerin the title and I will see it and know you wish to have me. Have a great night.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Tanya. You have a good night to. I do have a few other things I would like to get your opinion on, when I'm ready, I will definitely request you! Thanks again

your welcome no hurry I will watch I am on daily and will respond when I see your questions :)