Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.
19572128

I have a silver on copper tea set- 2 kettles, one large, one

I have a silver on copper tea set- 2 kettles, one large, one smaller, one creamer, one sugar bowl.... All prices have 3 marks on them- one is a crown (without a lion) an "S" & a shield.... Trying to find out who made it so I can find out it's possible value- could you please help?

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

I know the maker but if you want value, too, I will need photos.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment. Can you send photos?

If so, then -

Please send photos of the set.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank You, ***** ***** hope this helps~

Thank you for the information and photos. They really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I have several customers ahead of you. I will get back ASAP.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
no worries - Thank you - if you noticed, one lid has lost it's weld....but everything else is fine -
Have a great day - no rush - all help is appreciated.Roxanna

Thank you, Roxanna,

Your set is by Sheridan Silver Co of Taunton, MA.

This firm was founded in the 1940s and continues today as makers of plated silver holloware.

First let me say that I always dislike telling my clients the value of their plated silver. In the last twenty years, plated silver has dropped significantly in value. Sterling silver, for the most part, has retained its value as people look at it as an investment. The silver in plated silver is too difficult to extract to be of value as an investment. Plus with the increase in two worker households, there is not time to polish.

My research indicates the estimated retail value of your set would be $375-450 assuming good condition but for one lid and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you Doris, I was unable to open your answer for several days as this website is not mobile friendly. I appreciate your information and will take that under advisement. Yes, I will be selling...it serves zero purpose sitting in my garage collecting dust. I have several items to sell, so might as well give it a try. -Thanks Again,
Roxanna
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Doris,
This statement below from yourself, is a half thought. Could you please explain what you are saying because the BUT for one lid and depending on the sale geographic location....it seems like something is suppose to follow but nothing did. What did you mean?"My research indicates the estimated retail value of your set would be $375-450 assuming good condition but for one lid and depending on sale geographic location.'

I am sorry this is unclear.

I hope that the following explanation helps.

As I recall, you stated that one lid was loose? I am giving an estimated value taking into consideration that there is this flaw. However, I say the rest of the set is in good condition except for that one flaw. This is an appraiser's normal assumption if no other flaws are mentioned by the owner.

Depending on sale geographic location - means that the set might sell for $375 in a small town where there are few buyers. OR, in a large city, it might sell for the high value of $450 where there are many more buyers. Also location is important when one considers that in some areas of the country like the Southern region where I live, antiques and silver are more popular than they are in California where I used to live.

I use the standard language of trained certified appraisers of which I am one.

I am so very sorry for the confusion. It may sound like legalize but is necessary.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for the clarity. I didn't know if you were going to say "because of those factors, the value would be less". I understand lingo, but I also understand English grammar and your wordage was incorrect.Thank you for taking the time to finish the thought.Roxanna
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The word "except" would have been more appropriate, not the word "but"...

Thank you. My undergraduate university training was as a math major as was my graduate school training.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Well there you go.Thank again for your information. Extremely helpful~Roxanna