AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I have a New England Family piece, I believe it is a

I have a New England Family piece, I believe it is a sideboard, but could be a chest. It has leaf carving and 1881 on it. Any ideas of where I could find the value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: With an appraisal can I send a picture?

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have two new england peices. Image 4536 is the first one I asked about. Thanks

We will start with the just the item photo'd in 4356. Does the top lift up, like a trunk, and can I see the joinery at corner/interior as well as inside of lock mechanism and the key. Also you mention it is carved 1881, though in the photos it appears as (1)818, or 1818 with the first number 1 missing.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the top opens. The drawer as well. Interesting that the bottom drawer has one
hand-hewn piece.

Thank you for the additional information. Please send a photo of the lock and interior also can you confirm if it is 1818, which is what I think I see or is it 1881, which is what you stated is on it.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will send the new images next week, toward the end of the week.

Great, I will look forward to them, thank you! ~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the images I finally got back from my brother in law. Sorry for the delay. The bottom of the chest is hand hewn. Thanks, Kimberly
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I would like to also have the other piece appraised...the dry sink when this one is completed.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks very much

Seeing the carvings on each of the bottom panels will be really helpful as with corners of the bottom drawer and the front/back side where attached views of the iron pulls and lock on bottom.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** forward to knowing how to price this piece for sale.

I will need to see the other detail shots at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Do you mean for the dry sink piece?

I will need to see more images of the trunk to start:

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are two more photos...this is all I have for now, but I can get more this evening if needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
OOPS! Image 4399 is the dry sink information...does not go with the chest.

Hi There,

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

This is an American blanket chest, from New England, circa 1818 as you indicated. These larger blanket chests, with a drawer beneath, were also known as mule chests.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/arts_life/community/origin-of-mule-chest-a-stubborn-mystery/article_d741c09b-181f-5eaa-a710-088e5fcf0a45.html

It's very likely that this was intended as a hope chest or wedding gift, and the initials MD would refer to the owner.

It's really a very lovely and exceptional piece--the tones of the wood and the rustic carving are very nice. It really seems that it was a work of love by a true craftsman.

I'd estimate the value at $5,000.00, but with the right buyers it could go higher. It's so nice!

If you are happy with my work, please provide a star rating as that's the only way I will be compensated. But if you have more questions, please let me know!

Jennifer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thanks you very much. I am sending another piece that we are selling. It is a dry sink from the same family era.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I want to rate you but as I am new to this service, I need to ask where to do so?
There is a bar of stars, you click one to five stars to rate.

It appears you rated the other question--which we didn't finish--rather than this one! I am heading over to work on that now.

Experience: Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.