Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We purchased this water buffalo sculpture at a mom and pop

Customer Question

Hello again!
We purchased this water buffalo sculpture at a mom and pop store in France that specialized in antique outdoor pieces. We have no idea where it came from or what its story is. It is approximately 18 inches long and 9 inches wide and about 9 inches high at the head. It is incredibly heavy, around 50 pounds.It is light green/grey in overall color. I am curious to its provenance/value. Obviously it has sustained some damage over time, with the horns both being broken and the piece by the tail missing.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the request here. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Can you please add an image of the underside as well.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here is the picture of the bottom as requested.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

On first inspection of the images, my inclination would be to state this is likely Chinese. However, your having purchased this in France, it very well could be a carved primitive folk art piece done in local rock. Without a mark or signature, where it came from cannot be definitively stated. It could *possibly* be narrowed down to origin by determining if the stone is indigenous to a particular area; that however would entail finding a geologist who could identify it and possibly trace to region. I do not know someone personally in your area who could do that though. The damage within it may have diminished the value.

~Nora