Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience:  40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.
53729464

I am looking for a glass expert to evaluate and tell me what

I am looking for a glass expert to evaluate and tell me what my glasses from my great grandmother are. I took one of 6 to a roadshow but the right expert was not there
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: My glasses look similar to a whiskey decanter set (I only have the glasses -6) and they have 'teeth' 1/4 way down inside the glasses all the way around

My name is ***** ***** these sound so interesting!

There were no photos of the pieces that came with your original inquiry.

Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the items and any marks on the bottom. Look in strong window light for an etched mark on the bottom. Roll up a piece of white paper and put inside the glass so that it will photograph the pattern better and do keep the back ground on a wood or granite counter (not a red or bright colored fabric). This will give the best result for me to determine what you have.

I can't wait to see these!
The add files feature works best if you add one pic, add something like PIC 1 in the text box, hit send, then do the next.
Once you do add pictures, give me some time to research.
No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Just checking to make sure you received the pictures (4)

Got the pictures, give me some time on this one.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you so much!
They are unique!

I am unable to find a match for this item. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation and your photos. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Any news from the new Antique Expert?

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising Antiques for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. Your decanter and glasses are circa 1930s-1940s pressed glass. This is not hand cut lead crystal. Most evident is in the photo of the glass. If you look in the lower center, you will see a line going through the glass. This is a seam. Pressed glass is molded to look like cut crystal. Another way to tell is the edges are very smooth where cut glass has sharp edges.

The set would sell for $80-100 at auction.

Thank you,

Please click on the Stars*****When you read this Answer

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressed_glass

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I already knew it was pressed glass but wondered about the "teeth" inside. Have you ever seen another set with the teeth? Are they lemonade glasses as my grandmother thought or are they whiskey glasses as I tend to think?

That is just part of the design. If this was cut it would be smooth inside. These are whisky glasses.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Ok but how rare are the "teeth" design?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still waiting for an answer
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Have you ever seen the teeth design in a glass? That is especially what I need to know!
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Are you also unable to answer my question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
If you cannot find the answer, please refer me to another Antique Glass expert.

I'm not sure about the teeth inside. I will open this up to others.

Thanks,

Hello

This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.

.

Maybe I can help you with these. These glasses are called " On the Rocks, they are Whiskey Glasses, the little nubs ( teeth ) inside the glass were to keep the Ice Cubes from falling into the face of the person drinking the Scotch, such as Scotch on the Rocks. They used large ice cubes back in the day, and they would not slide forward when they hit these nubs.

.

The Vintage Unique Pressed Glass On the Rocks Whiskey Glasses have an estimated value on the current market for an average of $20.00-25.00 each, depending on the condition and where it is for sale at. These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.
Glenda,
.
To complete this transaction, please click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.
.
Bonuses are not expected but if you should happen to leave one please come back and let me know. Thanks.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you for a complete answer. One more question. How rare are these? I have never seen any other sets. Have you actually seen a set?

These are kind of rare, I have seen them a few times yes. I thought they were quite unique and interesting the way they thought of this. They could possibly sell higher depending who might bid on them.

.

.
Glenda,
.
.
.
Bonuses are not expected but if you should happen to leave one please come back and let me know. Thanks

Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.