Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a baird and Dillon bible, gold trimmed outside once

Customer Question

I have a baird and Dillon bible, gold trimmed outside once with a lock, and made on ***** Philadelphia. my research shows Potter bibles made at this address in the 80's but not them. any clue as to further places to research it?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: its respined, and mostly of personal pleasure to me, mostly I want to know when they made their bibles at that address.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

At your convenience, please send an image of the title/publisher page with the address.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
have you a smart phone I can send pic to?
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Texting images is an additional premium service which includes a phone call. I will send the offer to you.

~OR~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok here are the two pictures , cover and main title page. hope they go thru.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Hi There,

I have not found the information that you seek.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
thank you for whatever you can do. if it helps two of the additional sections, one on the religions, in the book are printed with permission from Potters bibles and one dates 1874. I just cant find any real date of print on the bible itself. It leads me to believe that the two companies split and may have shared printing address for a short period of time. unfortunately I don't think either is still in business to access.
Laura. :)
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

What I have found is that there were a number of different printers claiming that address and that most of the books published were religious in nature. I think the building itself was, from around 1850s - 1870's a church owned building. Given the different publisher names and subject matter, it is possible that small printing firms were renting use of a printing press owned by a religious institution at this address. That is my best theory for explaining the anomoly of the address.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora