Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have furniture stamped with the Better made furniture by

Customer Question

Hello!
JA: Hi. How can we help?
Customer: i have furniture stamped with the Better made furniture by Malcolm on it and I would like to know how to find out when it was made.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Just that others say it's late 1800 or early 1900. But to day some one suggested it was not that old. So where or how do I find out it's true age?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: It has a metal stamp in the drawer. Says , Malcolm : Better built furniture: then in the centre genuine no mar finish.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

What is the size in inches? How many screws are there. What kind of screws are there?

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos....one of the whole front; one of the back; one of any drawer joins;

one of the label.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Good evening Doris!
Thank you for your time!
The China cabinet is one piece but the top has the glass and is a bit smaller , 32 3/4 X15 1/4 X 51 the bottom is attached and is
36 3/4 X 17 1/2 X 23 1/4 then the legs are 8 inches high! A total of 81 1/4 inches high . The glass door has a key hole on the right side if you're looking at it & latch and the bottom key right and a latch on left also if your looking at it!
On the back is the number 4046 AMF 299. 3 screws on the back an S2 square head !
The side board does not have any numbers or letters stamped in or on its back. The 2 side draws have a royal purple velvet on the bottom and then the wood is placed on top, a lowing for 4 spots on each side for silverware.
Sideboard is 21 3/4 X 64 1/4 X 36 3/4 high.
The table is 42 X 64 X 30 high, has Two pedestal with 3 legs one each also the tips of each leg has what appears to brass tips.
I hope I have given the right information for this is my first time asking for an appraisal or any enlightening!!
Thank you ever so much for your time!
Elizabeth
Expert:  Doris replied 7 months ago.

I only received three pictures - two of which are the same. Please resend. The system works best if you take it slowly.

How many pieces of furniture are you now asking about? Your initial question only asked about one piece.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No I asked about my furniture!!!
Not one spastic pice!!!
Expert:  Doris replied 7 months ago.

I need photos of the pieces please.

Thank you,

Doris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Doris,
These are of the China Cabinet only!
The dining room furniture is a set so what you say for the one pice should be applicable to the rest.
Sorry for any inconvenience
Thank you
Elizabeth
Expert:  Doris replied 7 months ago.

Thank you for the pictures.

Is the back of the cabinet plywood?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It may be, it's not the cheap kind you get from Home Depot.
Thank you
Elizabeth
Expert:  Doris replied 7 months ago.

No it is certainly not Home Depot quality.

It was built in the 1960s by the Malcolm furniture company of Listowel, Kincardine Ontario, Canada.

See the Andrew Malcolm biography here:

http://www.biographi.ca/en/bio/malcolm_andrew_14E.html

The china cabinet would have an estimated retail value of $1600-1900 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.