Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I would love to know more about this piece. It's made of 24k

I would love to know...
I would love to know more about this piece. It's made of 24k gold and appears to have arabic writing on it. Its small, maybe 4" in diameter. The pearl sits on a hinge connected to the stand and allows the pearl to drop into the gold bowl. The gold bowl is extremely heavy for its size and has english text on the bottom reading, "fine gold 154 5 grams" The 5 on the end is smaller than the rest and 154.5 grams should be correct weight. (don't have a gram scale) If someone could translate the writing and tell me what it is I would appreciate it. Also if anyone has an idea of value it would be appreciated. Thanks!
IMG_1265.JPGIMG_1265.JPGIMG_1266.JPGIMG_1266.JPGIMG_1267.JPGIMG_1267.JPGIMG_1268.JPGIMG_1268.JPGIMG_1269.JPGIMG_1269.JPGIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1270.JPGIMG_1271.JPGIMG_1271.JPGIMG_1272.JPGIMG_1272.JPG
1/3/2017
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Thank you for submitting your question to Just Answer.
When an expert signs on that can help you with this they will see it and pick it up for you. I will opt out so they can see this on the board when they sign on.
Glenda

Thanks. Still hoping for some information.

If someone knows about this they will pick this up.

Glenda

Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience: Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2019

I believe the writing on this is in Runes, which is Nordic (Scandinavian) and not Middle Eastern. It may be a spell bowl or a 'poison testing' bowl. I will look into this further for you.

~Nora

Nora,Sounds interesting! I look forward to hearing more about it. Thanks!

Certainly. Please allow me some time to look into this for you.

Sincerely,

Nora

The best I can trace is that this lettering is Rune and that this is likely a Wiccan divination or spell bowl. However I have not found a match to this.

I will opt-out and your question will open again to all the experts. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser

Hello, my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you. Please allow me time to review your photos and translate the writing. This is an offering bowl and has been hand made as you can see in the hammering and forming of the bowl the stand is also hand made to fit the bowl. Is there any way you can possibly get photos of every side for me to see te writing better around the outside please. This would help me in reading the inscription. Thank you I look forward to helping you.

This should be what you need. Thanks!
IMG_1421.JPGIMG_1421.JPGfullsizeoutput_2fb.jpegfullsi...jpegfullsizeoutput_2fe.jpegfullsi...jpegfullsizeoutput_2ff.jpegfullsi...jpegfullsizeoutput_301.jpegfullsi...jpegfullsizeoutput_302.jpegfullsi...jpegfullsizeoutput_303.jpegfullsi...jpegIMG_1428.JPGIMG_1428.JPGIMG_1429.JPGIMG_1429.JPG

Thank you for these photos they are perfect. Please allow me a day or two to translate and post my evaluation back here. Thank you again Tanya

No problem. Thank you!
Tanya, Any luck?

Hello thank you for your patience on this gold rune bowl. It has taken time in researching this and I believe it to be a Wiccan blessing bowl of prosperity/wealth and good blessings. This is a handmade bowl and stand as you can tell in the hammering dents and form. The rune markings have been etched in the gold and the pearl hangs above the bowl to bring strength and life to the offering. I would say this was made in the 1970 ealry 1980s when there was a large number of people into Wiccan rune readings and blessings. The piece is a wonderful set - the stand was made to fit the bowl and the bowl itself is wonderful and unique. You do not see these outside of the circles of people that use them.

The price in today's market of gold alone would be $38.57 a gram and at 154.5 grams the value in gold alone is $5959.06

Add to the value the significance of the bowl the value would be 6500.00 and if you were to sell this bowl and stand it would take a special person knowing how to use the bowl and have an alter practicing the blessings and such. It had nothing to do with poisons or evil It brings good to the holder and practicer. If not it would be sold for the gold value and most will pay a fraction of the gold value when selling to gold dealers.

Other then the bottom markings I have not been able to translate the outside markings. On the bottom it says Goddess-heaven-blessing-come

If I may be of further help please let me know I am always happy to help you.

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.

LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser