Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

How can I have a painting appraised for the best value? I

Customer Question

How can I have a painting appraised for the best value?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I know the artist and the state and city of origin.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: His name is***** they are an American Indian portrait theme.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Are you asking for images of each painting?
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

How many paintings do you have?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think ten to twelve.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
More from other artists. Maybe twenty total.
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

I see. Your original posting stated 'a painting' and I am only finding one past auction sale record of a painting by Roy Reynolds.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What amI paying for if you information yields no helpful results?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Roy is from Idaho Falls, Idaho. My family was from there as well and knew him and his family. One of the paintings is a portrait of one of our family members, the rest are Native Americans as well as a Roy Reynolds self portrait.
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

Your original question stated one painting, so you were billed for appraisal of one painting. If you'd like to proceed with that, I'm happy to help.

The problem is that later you stated twenty paintings, and we can't help you with that within one question.

Please let me know if you'd like to proceed with appraising just the Roy Reynolds painting.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Jennifer, I have 20 paintings by Roy and other artists. I thought I was paying for a service ($5.00 + $33.00 ) not appraisals per painting. I would like an appraisal for a painting so, which one? Largest, smallest or most personal/valuable. Maybe a ballpark or estimate for all paintings by each artist. Are there going to be more charges?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hello, to whom it may concern. I have found some information on Roy's Horse Thief Studio/ Facebook page. It has given me some ballpark idea of price for different size pieces. Which leads me to my next question about how to go about selling them to the best value?

Unfortunately, retail prices that an artist charges, don't really transfer to the resale market.

I'm going to do some research for you, but I have an appointment this morning. I'll get back to you this afternoon with some ideas.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have not heard from anyone in days and am not satisfied with this service. I will be disputing the charge of 33.00. Sorry. I have found more info online on my own.
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

I will send your request to admin on your behalf, and I recommend you contact them from your end as well.

Please note that experts here are not employees of justanswer.com, experts are verified users who do not handle charges, fees, credit cards, memberships or subscriptions in any way or form. For such queries, use this link for assistance:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

I will not be able to respond back after sending in your request.

Sincerely,

Nora