Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I'm trying to find information on a & Kent tea cup (c. 1939

Customer Question
I'm trying to find information...
I'm trying to find information on a Taylor & Kent tea cup (c. 1939 +) pink with gold trim, no saucer and has the number 7081.E on the bottom
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Is there a way to upload an image?
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It appears to be in excellent condition, the one I have is footed, is pink with a black landscape scene on it, solid white inside with a single gold line around the cup approx 1/2 - 1/4 " down from top, gold handle, gold trim on the top edge and the bottom edge of the "foot". the cup itself has a slight, delicate "wavy-ness near the top of the cup.I have seen one other that is very similar but the picture on the cup is different and was being sold as a set for $89.
Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Antiques
1/1/2017
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 10 months ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send photos of your cup.

Please send a photo of the marks and/or words/and/or words on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Kind regards,
Doris

Please describe the landscape. I cannot see the details.

There's a stone bridge over a small creek of sorts in the background with birds flying above, there's a tree in the foreground and a split rail type fence off to the left of that On the other side of the little bridge is another tree and lower shrubs with some sort of tall grasses in the fore ground (the grasses look sort of like iris leaves. On the back side of the cup , in the back ground there is a long row of straight vertical lines that might represent the front of a filed of trees or a forest. The entire scene has other lanscape/meadow/field details..hope that helps.

Thank you for that information.

The marks on the bottom of the cup tell us the date of production was 1939-ca1950s by the Staffordshire, England pottery of Taylor and Kent.

The hand painted number 7081.E is a factory ID for the design. The design is transfer-ware, not hand painted. Word names were often not assigned to china patterns before the 1960s when the makers finally realized the marketing value of names.

The shape is typical of the footed cups by Taylor & Kent.

The gold adds little to the value of the cup as gold is too difficult to extract from porcelain.

My research of Taylor & Kent cups from this same period indicate the estimated retail value would be $35-40 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

thanks again for your help. A final question (or 2) regarding the impact of how available the specific cup pattern is... does the fact that there is litlle to no information regarding this specific pattern have any impact on its value? If I could find a matching saucer, how would that impact the value?
thanks

I strongly suspect that it was made as a one of kind cabinet piece. There was probably a saucer to match at one time but it certainly is not available now. It is monochromatic so it's value is not high. Without its saucer it is not worth much. Also, Taylor & Kent's cups do not sell very high even with saucers.

I wish I had better news.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Hi there!

Kind regards,
Doris

Your answer helped
Thank you

I am glad it did.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser