Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

I have an antique Waterford chandelier, probably from the

Customer Question

I have an antique Waterford chandelier, probably from the 80s. I do not know what pattern it is or the appraised value, but I am interested in selling it. How do I do that if I don't have more specific information? Thank you.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I believe it has 8 or 9 arms; it is boxed up so I can't see the exact number.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 8 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your chandelier.

Is it boxed up in its original "Waterford Glass" packaging? Or just in regular cartons?

Are you able to locate one of the arms to photograph? And one of the central vases or orb?

If so, attach some images here and I'll get an idea of which style and pattern you have.

Having said that, because your best option for selling is at a good antique auction house, the most you'll get for any Waterford glass chandelier, packed up sight unseen, is around $200, as no buyer is going to take the chance on paying more without being able to check whether it's complete or undamaged.

My advice would be to contact your best local auctioneer (if you give me your zip, I'll see what options there are near you) and consign it for sale through them. Take it there boxed up and assemble it in the auction rooms (or have them do it for you, they know what to do) as you'll get a far better price for it on display and fully assembled.

Let me hear back and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Robert,Thank you. It is not in the original Waterford box unfortunately. I am attaching some photos I have been able to take.

Thanks, ***** ***** helpful photos. Leave this with me and I'll have a full answer for you as soon as I can. Meanwhile, what's your zip, and I'll let you know what auction house options there in your area.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
My zip code is 38138. Thank you!

Looking at what you managed to photograph peeping out of the peanuts, I can tell you for sure that this is Waterford Glass and circa 1970s - 1980s vintage and in one of their signature cut glass patterns called "Lismore" named for the famous Irish seat of the Dukes of Devonshire at Lismore Castle, located near Waterford in Ireland.

Also, I'm fairly certain this is the eight arm version that should look like this:

http://i.imgur.com/kmeKC5B.jpg

As for value, your chandelier, once re-assembled and hanging on display, would sell at a good antique auction house in the range of $650 - $900. It has a full retail value of $2000, which is also the replacement value for insurance purposes.

As far as selling is concerned, unfortunately Memphis is something of a desert when it comes to good antique auctioneers. Your nearest one that would be appropriate for this piece would be:

Kennedy's Auctions

*****Avenue
4872 Hwy 64 East
Selmer, TN 38375

http://www.kennedysauction.com/

or Northgate Gallery auctioneers in Chattanooga, TN, http://www.northgateauctions.com who sell a lot of chandeliers.

Having said that, selling to a local antique dealer or vintage lighting retailer is certainly worth considering.

I would contact Southfront Antiques,(###) ###-####

374 S Front St, Memphis, TN 38103,

http://www.southfrontantiques.com/

and ask them who the local vintage lighting dealer is. They will know. This is the person to talk to, explain you are going to sell the chandelier at auction and offer them first refusal. They will usually pay the low end of the auction estimate if they are interested. This is probably the easiest way to go, because it requires little travel and no transport headaches (they will collect for free, auction houses usually have a collection charge) and no auctioneer's seller's commission.

And finally, but as a 'first' resort, there is always Craig's List, where you could price this piece, initially, at somewhere between $1000 and full retail. It's surprising how many antique dealers -and amateur collectors- there are keeping an eye out for quality pieces like this being listed on Craig's List. If you are antsy about strangers coming to the house, just arrange a third party venue at the local Walmart parking lot, or similar.

Hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Robert.

I hope all is okay. I assume you must be having computer problems since I haven’t heard from you, however, if you are able to receive this, could you kindly take a moment to rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button) as this is how I get paid by JustAnswer at no extra cost to you.

We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do. Or, if you have another item you'd like to ask me about, just start a new Question and put "For Robert S....." in the subject line.

Thanks so much,

Robert.