Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Metal cigarette box for Turret cigarettes liverpool,england

Customer Question
value plz JA: I always love...
Metal cigarette box for Turret cigarettes liverpool,england value plz
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: owned by my grandmother who came fromEly City England. She was born in 1898 and might have been purchased in Canada. Not sure of year.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: inside of box sez imperial tobacco co. of canada limited. sicker has stamp that is torn but appears to be issued in 1931 with pick of english king. the pkg had 50 cigarettes in it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
12/15/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Welcome to Just Answer! I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. We thank you for your patience.

I will opt-out so that when the other Appraisals specialists go online, they will see your questions.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
box on right side gold excellent condition

The three boxes in the image I sent sold at auction for $25.

See the following image of a Turret box like yours that is for sale now for a retail asking price of $15.

It is in worse condition than yours. This means yours should have a retail asking price of $28-35 assuming excellent condition and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser