Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

Good Condition, some restoration/inpainting,some craquelere.

For Doris Only-  Good Condition, some...

For Doris Only-  Good Condition, some restoration/inpainting,some craquelere. (SeePhotos)

Oil on Canvas. Sight: 11 3/4" x 16"

11/29/2016
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello! Thank you for requesting me.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I may need to ask further details about your item or request photos before I can give an informed final answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,
Doris

Ok, what's your valuation?

I am sorry to take so long. I want to get it right.

I will be back within in an hour.

Kind regards,

Doris

"William Wendt was born on February 20, 1865 in Bentzen, Germany and died in Laguna Beach, California on December 29, 1946. In 1880, at the age of fifteen, Wendt immigrated to the United States and worked in Chicago as a staff artist where he painted formula pictures. In his free time the young Wendt displayed a love for easel painting and began to develop a personal style of painting.

In 1894 and 1896, Wendt traveled and painted with his friend George Gardner Symons visting England and California, and later traveled to the East Coast, Germany and France. He married the sculptress Julia Bracken in 1906, and he and his bride then made the decision to move to California.

William Wendt

Traveling to the hard to reach areas of the California countryside for inspiration, Wendt painted canvases graced with trees, rolling hills, blue skies and farmhouses. His earlier works have been termed tranquil and lyrical while his later works evolved to show bold and broad brushstrokes with ***** *****s and browns.

Highly regarded in California and nationally, he earned the title of "the dean of Southern California artists".

In 1911, William Wendt became the first president of the California Art Club, and he also held memberships at: the American Federation of Arts, the Chicago Society of Artists, Laguna Beach Art Association, National Academy and the National Arts Club of New York.

He exhibited and sold his works successfully for thirty years at major galleries in California, Chicago, Boston and New York. He won numerous awards during his career:
Second Yerkes Prize,
Chicago Society of Artists,
Bronze Medal, Buffalo Exposition
Cahn Prize, Chicago Art Institute
Kirchberger Prize, Chicago Art Institute
Silver Medal, San Francisco Exposition, 1915
Black Prize, California Art Club, 1916
Ranger Purchase Prize, National Academy of Design, 1926

His works can be found in the following museums: Los Angeles County Museum of Art; Brigham Young University, Museum of Art; San Diego Museum of Art, Smithsonian American Art Museum, Art Institute of Chicago, Dallas Museum of Art, Laguna Art Museum."

Source: www.williamwendtgallery.com

William Wendt sometimes signed his paintings like yours - WM Wendt - as well as William Wendt.

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment, I was able to determine an auction value of $15,000-18,000 for your William Wendt painting, assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

The gallery that can be found at the address

www.williamwendtgallery.com buys and sells Wendt paintings.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser