Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

We have a very old Portrait of my great, great, great

Customer Question

We have a very old Portrait of my great, great, great grandfather, who was named Phillipe Rodier. He was an engineer and constructed the old stone bridge in Washington DC, which evidently still stands today. At some point, I believe he lived in the Old Stone house that is not a National Park in the DC area. The portrait is very old and in its original frame. My mother insisted that it was painted by Gilbert Stuart, the same artist that painted the unfinished portrait of ***** *****. She told us that some people from the University of Miami department of art had informed her about this. I have had a couple of people look at it and none have been able to advise us how to confirm or negate the claim. There is actually an artist's signature on the portrait in the lower right hand corner, but it is very hard to see under a dark veneer. Is there some way we can find out for sure if this is a Gilbert Stuart portrait and if so, find out about what it is worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am sorry not to have gotten back with you sooner on this. I am a surgeon and have been on ER call this week, which has kept me quite busy. Hopefully, I can touch base with you over the weekend.SincerelyCCS
Expert:  Nora replied 10 months ago.

No worries and no rush. At your convenience is fine, there is not a time limit here.

~Nora