Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an oil painting from the late 1800s (oil on canvas),

Customer Question
framed. It is signed...
I have an oil painting from the late 1800s (oil on canvas), framed. It is signed Legle and it is of a seascape with a moon (evening). I researched a little and found that Legle is one of the painters from the Limoges family. This is all I know. A French lady gave it to me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
11/28/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups. Thoughtful responses take time.

Is the name Legle or Legler?

Do you know a first name or initial?

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Legle (no first name or initial). It is oil on canvas, framed, seascape, late 1800s, crackled paint. I read somewhere that Legle is one of the original Limoges artists, but this is not on porcelain, it's on canvas. It is framed but I don't think the frame is original.

Thank you.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send a photo of the painting.

Please send a photo of the signature.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the signature.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

What is the size, not including the frame? Please do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's about 24" x 24" without the frame.

Please send photos.

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for the information and photos.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have the best answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can log back in tomorrow to see your response. Or would you prefer that I wait. I can do either you wish.

This is going to take time. I have performed an initial search and have not been able to find the artist. I need to go through my artists directories.

Tomorrow will be best.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, would you like to call me tomorrow or write me tomorrow?

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. There are extra charges for phone calls. I do not send pop-ups.

I will write within this format. You will get an email notice when I respond as I am doing now.

Kind regards,

Doris

I have researched in all of my extensive artist directories but have not found any references to paintings by an artist named Legle.

Legle, LeGrand & Lebouc was porcelain decorating workshop located in Limoges, France, and dating 1922-1954.

Your painting does appear to be earlier than 1922. While the last names are ***** ***** we cannot assume that a porcelain decorator and an artist that worked in oil painting on canvas are the same person. The two mediums are entirely different.

As a late 19thC - early 20thC oil painting on canvas, your framed art piece would have an estimated retail value of $450-550 assuming some paint crackling and depending on sale geographic location.

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am so disappointed to not find Legle anywhere. i wonder if Antiques Roadshow would have any idea about the work. I appreciate your effort. I just think that the name Legle is so rare, and since the painting is from France, that it must be the same family (maybe the father???). The painting is beautiful, albeit, crazed (crackled). Thank you for your effort.

I was sorry, too. Still, the value is correct. When an artist has not been a part of a major exhibition or is not recognized either nationally or internationally, he is considered an "unlisted" artist. Basically, this s the same as an "unknown" and the painting values are quite low.

Again, I was so sorry to disappoint you. I worked through all my extensive collection of art directories. Absolutely no one by the name Legle was there.

Kind regards,

Doris

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser