Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

These were my nana's perfume bottles from when she served in

Customer Question
These were my nana's perfume...
These were my nana's perfume bottles from when she served in the Pacific Theater in World War II. At one point or another they had An Irice Import tag, and I am attaching a pic from a different bottle for a reference.
This blush compact with painting, labelled "Rex" 5th Avenue and appears new as the day my nana originally bought it.
And finally I am hoping that someone can help us identify and value this gorgeous peach colored glass with hand painted flowers and brass base.
I am happy to supply any additional pictures if needed to assist in research.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
20161110_155243.jpg2016111...jpg20161118_145427.jpg2016111...jpg20161118_145452.jpg2016111...jpg20161118_145542.jpg2016111...jpg20161118_153523.jpg2016111...jpg
11/24/2016
Antique Expert: Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher replied 1 year ago
Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher

Welcome to Just Answer! I wanted to let you know that someone has seen your question. We thank you for your patience.

I will opt-out so that the other Appraisals specialists online will see your questions.

Kind regards,

Rarewares

Antique Expert: Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Good Morning

I can give you the current market value for the perfume bottles and the compact. You will need to submit a new question for peach colored glass with hand painted flowers and brass base. This one will take some research in order to try to find out who made it and when.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok, I have no problems waiting for you to do the research, especially with the holiday. That being said, we've talked a dozen times or so already, usually about our frustrations with this site & the fact that the experts & the business/website folks are on completely different pages regarding how many questions you can ask per a pay period. For example, we're not allowed to ask more than 15 questions a month, despite the unlimited questions guaranteed by the site. Apparently I'm the oddity, having so very many questions, as any family member who could have explained the where & what of the 100s of objects I've come into possession of are long gone, so I'm desperately attempting to identify & value them so our baby girl won't have to go through this time consuming process (going on the 10th year now myself) herself & after explaining this to the powers that be, I was instructed to group 4-5 similar items together in order to make the most of my 15 questions a month.Now, all of that being said, I have 2 other nifty vases that I could group with the peach colored vase as another separate question, with just your name if you are still interested in working together.I'm happy to do whatever you want to make this work & to stay below the radar so this account doesn't get suddenly canceled or whatnot. I will add this final note so you can see where I'm coming from, as I completely get where you're coming from, as this is your bread & butter & the more separate questions the better, but I'm a single mother on state medicaid & food stamps (although presently living with my princesse's father, hence the angry Ivan) & am only trying to identify the hordes of items I've had to store in a storage unit for nearly 5 years now. I came from money (as the saying goes) although that's no longer the case, obviously & aside from identifying & cataloging everything, I'm hoping to maybe finding a hidden gem in these overwhelming piles to make a better life for us, but I'm not the owner of an antique store or anything of the sort & certainly don't mean to abuse my membership or whatever it is that appears to be problematic to whomever.Anyhoo, here I am going on & on. My main point is this, I'm delighted to continue working with you, I'm in absolutely no hurry, so take as much time as you want & if you're good with the 4 or so similar items, let's keep going. Also, I'm completely happy to further divide up items or do whatever you suggest, as you can see, I'm a big fan of communication & quite flexible. All I ask in return is that you keep in mind my limitations & realize that I'm not making any money thus far & may never do so, although hoping my princess may be able to cash in 20 or 30 years down the road.Very last question, I promise. Now that I'm a paying member (despite losing 3-4 days of the free trial) my understanding is that I selected "no hurry" regarding time limits but I selected the "most detailed" explanation option, which increased my monthly membership by $10 or $15. I was wondering what you saw on your end & wondering if my membership was unknowingly altered...again.Anyhoo, happy Turkey day & hopefully it's the last time I'll have to go on & on :-)

Here is how the site works, the site is JustAnswer. The experts ( me and others ) are not employees of the Just Answer site. We come to the site to answer questions that customers post there. We do not know about any arrangements the site makes with customers pertaining to their accounts, of how many questions you can ask in a months time.

We the experts are paid by the questions we answer for the customers. We answer the question, then we are rated by the customer, then we are compensated for our time by the justanswer site. So when there are many many items on each question it is hard on us. While we do understand the site wants the customers to put as many items on a question as possible, this saves them money. It does not benefit the expert.

Most experts on the site only do one item per question. Some of us will do two or three and sometimes more depending on what they are. If they are all like Items such as your perfume bottles then some will do more items per question.

I was letting you know I would be happy to give you the current market value for your perfume bottles and compact, but you will need to put the vase in a different question as it is not like the perfume bottles.

If you would like to put the vases on a question by themselves I would be happy to help you with those also. Just address them to Glenda. I cannot promise to find who made them if they are not marked but, I can find values and dates of production.

As for this:

" Very last question, I promise. Now that I'm a paying member (despite losing 3-4 days of the free trial) my understanding is that I selected "no hurry" regarding time limits but I selected the "most detailed" explanation option, which increased my monthly membership by $10 or $15. I was wondering what you saw on your end & wondering if my membership was unknowingly altered...again. "

I cannot see anything that says anything about Detailed information.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok

Hello

Ok, what does that mean exactly?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ooops, looks like I mangled this response, hold on...

Ok, will do.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I completely appreciate the time & effort that goes into research, aside from researching many of the same items to death myself over the last ten years, I have a History MA, so I really do get it, but I'm also a struggling single mother who's presently unemployed, which is why I'm asking about 4-5 similar items per a question, as that's what I was advised to do by "management," in the hopes of identifying as much as I can before I'm unable to afford the monthly membership fees (we're not allowed to ask endless questions, despite the site's assurances that you can & can only ask 15 per a pay period, which would take me years to do) or the storage fees, which ever predicament comes first.So, all of that being said, I took great efforts to divide up the great many overwhelming objects in what I believed were similar enough lots so that you wouldn't have to do too much varied research on them. Regardless, I completely get the vase versus perfume bottles concern & am happy to group that vase with other vases in separate questions addressed to you if you'd like to continue working with me as I wade through everything.I don't want to make your life harder, I just want to finish up this overwhelming project as quickly as possible.The perfume bottles were my nana's. She served in the Pacific Theater but I imagine she got around. She worked as a nurse on a medical train but I think that was in the States. Anyhoo, I think they're all made by Irice import, made in Germany-US zone & am attaching a pic of a perfume's bottle label that I didn't bother adding to the lot as I'm still trying to find the beautiful feather shaped glass top that went with it, only 15 more mystery boxes to sort through...I've got 3 beautiful vases (including the bud vase in this pic) that I can send you as a new question next, if that works for you.Finally, the makeup compact & mirror, labelled Rex 5th Avenue, is really what I'm excited to learn more about. Can we add that to this question? If not this or the second question, I do have a few more vanity items to make up a third question if that's what works best for you. I also have tons of additional pics if you need any other angles or info, just ask!

This is your answer, please rate this after reading it. This is important to me getting credit for my work.

.

Yes, that works for me. You can send me the vases on a new question, just address it to " Glenda" I will do the perfumes here. I am very familiar with Irice, as I collect perfumes myself and have a lot of books on these bottles.

The Blue Perfume, top left of picture is $55.00-60.00, the clear one right below that one is $35.00-40.00, the clear one with the Gold Floral Top,-$60.00-65.00, the Compact -$35.00-48.50, all of these values depend on where they are for sell at.

.
These will typically sell higher in an Antique Shop or Private sale compared to an auction. If you are thinking of selling, you might want to check your local Antique Shops in the area to see what yours or one like it would sell for or has sold for, then you can decide to sell online or locally.
.
Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
You can sell on Etsy, which is a great place to sell from, you list Vintage Items, they can stay until they sell. Much like having a little store online. There is also Rubylane, which is a more upscale site where people sell more expensive items. There is also Tias and GoAntiques, which is on the same scale of Rubylane. There is Amazon Market Place, ArtFire and of course Ebay. All of these sites get you a lot of World Wide exposure and bring the best traffic. They are all great!
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the stars at the top right of your page, then click the green rate button.
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

I'm just checking in once again to see how things are going.
.
Let me know if you still need help with this question.
.
I will be happy to help with any further question you might have on this.
.
I strive to answer any and all questions a customer might have in order for you to have a enjoyable experience with me as an appraiser.
.
Thank you so much!
Glenda

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser