Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

Pearl. My husband and I are downsizing and have uncovered a

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl. My husband and I are downsizing and have uncovered a bag of old coins. We have sorted through them and are wondering if they are valuable and if so how we might sell them.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the antiques appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have 6 Standing Liberty Half Dollars ranging from early 1930's-1945. I have Ben Franklin Half Dollars from the 1950's and 1960's. I have JFK Half Dollars. I have a Mercury head dime from 1944, 2 Buffalo Head Nickels from 1937. Also have some old pennies, 1941 and some marked with D and S. Can you help me determine the value of these coins?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: At this point, I think that's it--just trying to get a general idea of how to proceed.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 11 months ago.

Any silver coins dated before 1964 have 90% silver in them, so those are worth keeping and evaluating. Anything after 1964 had NO (or only 40%)silver content.

$17 to $20 each... Standing Liberty Half Dollars ranging from early 1930's-1945, made of 90% silver

$13 to $15 each...Ben Franklin Half Dollars from the 1950's and 1960's, made of 40% silver

$13 each...JFK Half Dollars made 1964 to 1970 made of 40% silver

3.00 to 3.10...Mercury head dime from 1944, 90% silver

1.00 to 1.50 each...2 Buffalo Head Nickels from 1937, highest value is for one that would have 3legs on the back of the buffalo ($500)

.15 to .18 each...Pennies 1941, some marked with D(Denver mint) and S (San Francisco mint)

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

I am following up to see if you have read your answer and need further help with this item.
Please do let me know.