Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a lithograph of Karl Heffner (The Thames River with a

Customer Question
view onto Windsor Castle). It is...
I have a lithograph of Karl Heffner (The Thames River with a view onto Windsor Castle).
It is signed by him and the lithographer. I just wonder if its worth anything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
11/17/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Please tell me the size of the lithograph not including the margins or frame. Please do not remove from the frame.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its about 27 wide 20 L

I do not accept requests for phone calls. I give my best answers in thoughtful writing.

Besides, you will have an assessment to print out. There are extra charges for phone calls. I do not send pop-ups.

Please tell me if your piece is numbered? Who is the lithographer?

Kind regards,

Doris

Thank you for the information and photos. These really help.

Please allow me time to research the data required by your question, calculate current values and write my answer.

I want you to have a well-researched answer.

I thank you in advance for your patience.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thank you, ***** ***** call me also if you need too.Thank youJOHN B.

I do not participate in the Premium Service program. They do cost you an additional $38 that I only get part of.

I will be back ASAP.

Biography from Odon Wagner Gallery

"Karl Heffner (1849-1925) is best known for his panoramic views of expansive landscapes in northern Germany and also England. Born in Wuerzberg Germany in 1849, Heffner originally studied music in Munich. His studies in the arts began while working for and traveling with the English art dealer Wallis during the early 1870s.

Heffner was a pupil of Johann Nepomuk Otto, Adolph Stademann, and Adolph Hein***** *****er. In 1886 he was made an honorary member of the Academy of Munich, and in 1887 he obtained from the Prince Regent the title of professor.

He exhibited in Vienna and Munich, and at the Royal Academy and Grosvenor Gallery in London. In 1889 he received an honorable mention at the Universal Exposition in Paris. His works have been displayed in museums in Bristol, Melbourne, Munich, Rome and Sydney."

www.odongallery.com

From my research, I was able to determine that your Karl Heffner lithograph created by another artist would have an estimated retail value of $300-375 assuming the signatures are original and that the condition is good. This value depends on sale geographic location.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 20% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser