LadyTanya65
LadyTanya65, Certified Appraiser
Experience:  25+ years experience in Antiques, Certified Appraiser, Speaker, Member of AOA, Asheford Institute Antiques,and I am an Antique Researcher
52235960

I have two landscape marine painting (framed) by Lord Alfred

Customer Question

I have two landscape marine painting (framed) by Lord Alfred Montague, signed and dated 1846. I would like to market these. How should I proceed?
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: Alfred Montague was active from 1832 to 1883. He was elected to the Royal Society of British Artists in 1843.His subjects ranged from landscapes, town views to coastal scenes of England, Holland, and France. His idyllic scenes were acclaimed between 1832 and 1883. He exhibited consistently at the Royal Academy.He also exhibited at the Pennsylvania Academy in 1847 and at Boston Anthenaeum in 1852.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: Its your turn to tell me.....
Category: Antiques
Expert:  LadyTanya65 replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am a certified appraiser and would be happy to help you please allow me to research these and post back here. If you have photos of these please post for review and clear close ups of the signatures. I will need the measurements to give accurate values thank you I will check back as I post information on the artist while I wait.

To post photos if available click on the file upload or paper clip and follow the prompts.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Photos with signature in lower left
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do not think we need to speak on phone
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
yoo hoo......

Hi and thank you forgive me I have not been able to get online until now. Thank you for these photos. I see you have researched the artist so I will help you with the values and list a few auctions that handle his works. Being an appraiser I appraise and value items I have no control on the sell of items.

These two paintings are his paintings. They are nicely framed and appear to be in great condition. The value on these in today's market compared to his comparable pieces are(###) ###-####00 They could sell for more or not even sell at an auction house. Auction houses depend on who attends and is looking for his pieces.

Alfred Montague 1832 - 1883

The following auction houses sold his paintings within this year. The last two listed sold for the higher end 1200-1500

Skinner Inc, Boston
63 Park Plaza
Boston, MA 02116
Known for
Full-service auctioneer and appraiser of antiques and fine art

______________________________________

David Duggleby
The Vine Street Salerooms
north Yorkshire
Scarborough United Kingdom
Known for
Fine Art, Furniture, Estates

________________________________________________

Bonhams Knightsbridge
Montpelier Street
London SW7 1HH England
Known for
Early works of art, modern pictures, antique furniture and jewelry.

______________________________________________________-

Bruun Rasmussen, Copenhagen
33 Bredgade
1260 Copenhagen Denmark
Known for
Bruun Rasmussen is one of Denmark’s oldest auction houses and among ten of the largest in the world. It is established in 1948 in Bredgade 33 in Copenhagen and since then further departments have opened around in the country.

________________________________________

If I have answered all your questions and helped you please rate my answer as this is how I am paid from the site. It does not cost you anything more to rate the answer it is just how I am paid from the site. Thank you :

At the top left above our post are a series of 5 stars:

1 or 2 stars are that I have not helped you in answering 3-4 I have helped you yet not completely and 5 stars are I have answered you and been fully helpful. If you still have questions please allow me to help you fully before rating with the stars. I enjoy helping customers and do my best to fully answer all questions.