Judith-on-Antiques
Judith-on-Antiques, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  A noted expert, author, TV personality, appraiser and columnist. President, Association of Online Appraisers. Author of 3 books on collecting.
57035021

I have a violin. The internet is not helping much. It has a

Customer Question

I have a violin. The internet is not helping much. It has a Strat label on the inside.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the antiques appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: It has a Strat label on the inside. It has Mother of Pearl/Ivory tuner ends. It is in a case containing newspapers from 1909. It has Conservatory engraved on the neck. It has the initials RW RWB on the front
JA: Is there anything else the antiques appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I am too much of a novice to know the answer to that. I am sorry.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Please send images of this and as much of the label on the inside that you can capture.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the images and the best pictures I could obtain of the label. Included also are images of the original case, the bows, and the newspaper that was in the case with it.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Here are the last of them.
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Thank you for the images. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Just wanted to touch base and see if you have had an opportunity to look over the photos. Thanks, Britt
Expert:  Nora replied 6 months ago.

Hi Britt,

I have not found a match to this for you.

I will opt-out and open your question again to all the experts at no additional charge. If someone knows the answer they will post a response to you here. You do not need to re-list your question and this does not cost you extra. There is not a guarantee that you will receive a response.

I will not be able to respond back after opting-out

I do hope you find the information that you seek.

~Nora

Expert:  Judith-on-Antiques replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'm happy to help.

It is not possible for me to read what's on the label in the violin. Can you tell me the exact wording on the label instead please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Judith, it appears to be 1745

Hi Britt,

It must have more than just that date.It should say something like "Antonius Stradivarius Cremonensis 1745". Can you try again for me please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My apologies. I thought you were just having trouble reading the date. The pictures show the words pretty clearly, I thought.
Antonius Stradiuarius Cremonenfis Faciebat Anno 1745
And in a circle, off to the side AS with a T or a cross in between the letters
I can resend the pictures if that would be helpful

Thanks, Britt! That's what I needed to know.

Your violin is a workshop copy of a Stradivarius model, made at the turn of the 20th century in Germany. Several factories operated there at the time, turning out these instruments for export. Today, they are considered to be good student instruments (not for concert performers). The "conservatory" stamp indicates it is a school instrument. The stamped initials are probably those of the school.

From your photo, I Can see that your violin is currently in fair condition, at most. You are missing the bridge and the chin rest. I can't tell if all the tuning peg are intact, but I can see that the finish is damaged.

In this condition, the current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your violin is approximately $300. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $120, depending on location and actual condition. In very good restored condition, and if it has very good tone, current retail (replacement or insurance) value of your violin would be approximately $1,200. If you were to sell it, you could expect to get the fair market (private sale or auction) value of approximately 40% of the retail amount or $480, depending on location and actual condition.

I hope this answer has been helpful to you, Britt.

If you have any further questions or problems concerning this answer, please let me know.

If you would like to work with me on further questions you might have, it would be a pleasure to work with you again. All you have to do is put my name (Judith) at the beginning of your question.

I need your positive rating! Could you very kindly rate my services (with the stars or "accept" button), at no extra cost to you. Please click the five stars above, and then click the green button. We can still continue to communicate here on this thread after you do.

Thank you so much!