Nora
Nora, Expert in Fine and Decorative Arts: Renaissance through Contemporary
Experience:  Liberal Arts BA College Degree, Post-Graduate Christie's Education in London, 10 Yrs Art World Experience in NYC, President & Founder own Corporation. Member AOA & ISA USPAP Compliant through 2017
71377891

I inherited a tea set - a teapot, creamer, sugar bowl, 6

Customer Question

I inherited a tea set - a teapot, creamer, sugar bowl, 6 teacups and saucers, that has been in my family for four generations. It has an irridescent pearl finish with lavender edges and scenes that look like a Victorian version of Moses (could be some other pictures - women in flowing Greek gowns and head pieces, but with a small boy in the pictures.) As far as I can tell, this probably came from the 1976 World's Fair in Philadelphia, but I am also wondering about the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else important you think the antiques appraiser should know?
Customer: This tea set is in mint condition, no chips or wear. It is visually stunning and unusual. The shape of the tea pot is not round or square but gracefully tapered down to a scalloped base. Would love to know its worth. There is a family legend attached to it, but later on that. Do you have enough info to make a try at its worth?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Please send images at your convenience.

~Nora

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where shall I send them?
Expert:  Nora replied 9 months ago.

Hi~

There may be an +Add Files button or if there is a toolbar with a paperclip icon showing above the box where you type in responses, then follow the steps on this link for sharing photos:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Nora,
After a long break (my husband became very ill and I had to stop everything and nurse him), I am back with pics of the tea set now. Am working on downloading them to send you right now. They should arrive soon. Many thanks.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for the images. I am very sorry to read of your husband's illness and I do hope he is on the mend now and you are also getting some rest for yourself. Please allow me some time to look these over for you.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Did the photos come through? Have learned that this tea set was purchased at One of the World's Fairs - 1899 in Philadelphia or 1904 St Louis. It was purchased by my great grandfather on a business trip as a gift for his wife, then passed down to my grandmother, mother and me. It is delicate China. Was wonderin
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Many thanks Nora.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Certainly :)

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

The images are duplicates here. Are the pieces stamped or marked on the underside and can you add a photo of the mark as well as a close-up of the image on the surface.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I sent a picture of the underside of a cup with the markings. Did that not go through?
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

The image of the mark on the underside is not yet showing here on this end.

~Nora

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Okay, will resend.
Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

Great thank you ~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 4 months ago.

You can try emailing your images to *****@******.*** and write “For Nora/Antiques” in the subject line of the email.

Photos sent by email do not arrive to me directly nor instantly, they get forwarded to me by admin.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for your patience.

I received one image that shows the mark on your tea set of Victoria from Austria. The set dates to just about 1900 and yes, potentially could have been sold at the 1904 St. Louis World's Fair. Victoria of Austria often employed classical figures as their design decor on pieces. These sets sold for significantly higher a few decades ago. On today's market, the replacement value is $300.

Please take a moment to leave a rating by clicking the stars. If you require further assistance, no worries, the question thread does not close even after leaving a rating.

~Nora

Expert:  Nora replied 2 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you viewed your answer and if you are seeking further assistance?

Please let me know.

Sincerely,

Nora