Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I have a European Snuff box in gilt.

Customer Question

Hi I have a European Snuff box in gilt.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 11 months ago.

My name isCustomerand I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item and any marks, labels or writing.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

This is a gilt and enamel sterling silver snuff box made by Thomas Callow and Sons, Ltd of

Mount Street, Mayfair, England between 1925 to 1936. The box has an import mark and this is why

there are not city assays in the mark (not required). This box has a current value of $300 to $400 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
HiCustomer
I'm afraid you are wrong... this is not a Thomas Callow and Sons silver snuff box it is a rare french import with a crown with a cross, 925 and a K in a shield for 1924 which is an import mark it also has 935 stamped which should have been a give away. For further info please see http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/print_sale.aspx?saleid=22345&lid=4 Lot 10. The price it was sold for was $1625 in 2009.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Now what happens about the rating?

The box in the link and your box are two different boxes, not the same box. The only similarity is the TC and Sn, Ltd.

Your box does have the same mark of TC and Sn Ltd (Thomas Callow and Sons) of London, England.

The next mark is the import mark which does not denote a country, simply that the items is an

import, the second mark is 925, the assay mark for sterling silver, the third mark is illegible but could

be a date mark and I have estimated a range of 1925 to 1936. A K is the date code for 1925 and for 1885 depending on the shape around the letter, but I would need a better photo because it is not readable in that one photo. The lighter stamped number of 935 is a part/shape number and is not significant. These boxes are called 'continental ' because there is not a country of import within the marks, so the term covers the continent of Europe. These boxes most certainly could be French, Italian, etc and this term of continental covers those countries.

While these boxes were in high regard in 2009, the values are not the same as they once were. I attend four auctions per month and have

seen many of these over the years, so I have a good pulse on the value of one today, some seven years later. I would

be firm in my estimate of $300 to $400 as a value.

I do hope that explains your snuff box with more clarity in comparison to one you found on the internet.