Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a collection of costumed dolls (anywhere from a few

Customer Question

Hi - I have a collection of costumed dolls (anywhere from a few inches to a foot high) from all around the world that were given to me by my great aunt when she died in the mid 1990's. They are unique to the country and were purchased anywhere from the early 60's to the early 80's. How can I find out if they have any value? Thank you!
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Steven-R replied 8 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am pleased to offer assistance. Generally speaking, the market value for international dolls manufactured in that era are not in incredible demand nor do they command high values. The larger ones, as a rule, will have the most market appeal. If you could send me some images of them and note the sizes and any markings, I will gladly tell you more specific numbers and try to guide you to the best retail market for them, if your intent is to sell. If the image upload device isn't working well for you, it is often more simple to post images to the free site www.imgur.com and then just send the link to them back here to me.

With kind regards,

Steve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steve - Thank you for your response. As an fyi...my father (who has since passed away) was also a retired Army Major...:)Regarding the dolls, I think I have between 80-90 in total, so I will unpack the rest of them (all have been boxed for 20 years), take pictures and post to the site indicated by early next week (or maybe add a zip file to this if it works). My intent is to sell or (if no value), donate to a school or library, as I am downsizing and none of my grown children or other family members have an interest in retaining them.Thank you again.Best,
Kathy(###) ###-####
Expert:  Steven-R replied 8 months ago.

Hello again. Proud of your father's service, and sorry he is gone. But we all travel that path, one day! If you could perhaps group them it may speed up the process for us both. Perhaps start first with size, then separate those which are porcelain (any parts), and if you see any markings, perhaps jot them down as well. Modern dolls are not always marked, especially foreign made ones, but check under the clothing, at the back of the head, and at the waist area--that is where most should be found.

Looking forward to helping, and have a wonderful weekend. I will return Tuesday.

With kind regards,

Steve

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Hi Steven - I tried to attach a file, but it was too big and I just attempted to post them on the website you indicated, but it appears I would have to add each image separately and I have 21 in total. Is there anyway I could send to you via email in a zip file? Let me know. There are 21 separate images as follows:1) 2 Taiwan, 1 Thailand, 1 Japan, 2 Nepal, 1 India
2) 5 France
3) 2 Austria, 1 German, 1 Belgium, 1 Holland
4) 4 Ireland
5) 2 England, 1 Scotland
6) 2 Fiji
7) 2 Sweden, 1 Lapland, 2 Switzerland, 1 Norway
8) 5 Greece
9) 4 Denmark
10) 5 Italy
11) 3 Africa, 2 Egypt
12) 5 Unknown
13) 3 Portugal
14) 3 Canary Islands
15) 3 Spain + 1 Bull
16) 1 Romania, 2 Yugoslavia, 3 Turkey
17) 1 Warsaw, Poland
18) 11 (Peru, Guatemala, Mexico)
19) US and CA (2 NC, Old Salt, 3 Indian, 1 Canada, 2 Alaska)
20) 2 Bulgaria, 1 Russia
21) Antarctica Bird, New Zealand Bird, 2 New Zealand/Australia, 2 KangaroosMany are handmade and I think some of the costumes are pretty intricate and obviously native to the country, but I didn't really see any special markings. I do want to sell them all (as a collection), so even an idea of what should I ask would be helpful. I have 2 local folks that are interested in taking a look, but one of the antique dealers I called said I should have a general idea of what I want before I send them the pics or have them take a look in person.Let me know if I can send via email. Thank you!Best,
***** *****