Steven-R
Steven-R, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am a retired Major, US Army, and an antiques and collectibles consultant based on the east coast.
74160645

I have an old gold leaf curio cabinet that has a curved

Customer Question

I have an old gold leaf curio cabinet that has a curved front and the bottom 1/3 is a hand painter picture in 3 panels. On the bottom there is an impression with XIIII and what appears to be an acorn or something slightly triangular with a stem out of the top. I am curious about the value. The quality has been affected because my grandmother placed the cabinet over a heat register and some gold leaf and plaster accents have been lost.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I can send pictures. I would like to know what it will cost to have it valued or appraised.
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Do you have some sort of range in cost. It is a single cabinet approximately 4 feet tall x 30" wide x 15" deep.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you. Please know I do not send pop-ups.

Site Charges:

We professionals are not considered employees of Just Answer, We are verified by the site to answer questions in our fields. We are considered site users just like you. Therefore we have no knowledge of or control over the finances of the site or what they charge customers.
If you wish to discuss site charges, you may contact customer support at

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help

Or by phone:

US/Canada 1.***-***-****
Available 6am to 9pm PST

International
Australia 1800-679-634
New Zealand 0800-452-621
United Kingdom 0***-***-****
The rest of the world 1-***-***-****

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Can you send me at least one photo?

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Attached please find pictures. The last picture is of an impression on the bottom of the cabinet with an inscription XIII followed with what appears to be an acorn. I can only trace the cabinet back to my great grandmother who would have been born in the mid 1850's or there abouts. I inherited it from my grandmother. It appears to be either French or Russian.
Expert:  Doris replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for waiting. I had to be away from my computer for a while today.

Thank you for the photos.

Please tell me if you worked out the correct charges with the site - Just Answer?

Kind regards,

Doris

Expert:  Steven-R replied 8 months ago.

Hello! You have what is typically called a Louis XIII-XVI type curio cabinet, often termed a "Vernis Martin" cabinet display. It was likely manufactured in the late 19th to very early 20th century. Most are unmarked but are French in origin. Here is a link to several others made in the similar style:

https://www.skinnerinc.com/search?s=Vernis+Martin

-

"Vernis Martin" is a type of finish which uses a traditional frosty bronze finishing technique with hand painted romantic scenes, often those of courting and flowers. The surface is coated with fine plaster and then painted on.

In fine condition, these tend to retail around $1,500 to $2,000 pending demand--yours needs a bit of "love," but would still retail close to the $800-$1,000 range today as the forms, while plentiful, are still very much in demand. The markings appear more recent than the cabinet itself, and could indicate the general style of the finish, or Louis XIII.

If I may assist you further in ANY manner, please don't hesitate to ask.

With kind regards,

Steve

Expert:  Steven-R replied 8 months ago.

Hello again...if you are satisfied with any of my answers, please click the accept button--if you have any additional questions on any of them, please just ask!

Have a wonderful weekend.

With kind regards,

Steve