Robert S.
Robert S., Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Expert in decorative arts especially ceramics, silver, paintings, and furniture.
63759197

How many versions are there of the Clown character mug? I am

Customer Question

How many versions are there of the Clown character mug? I am aware of 3 large Mugs with white hair; one has a red collar and two have a white collar. There is also a Clown with brown hair and one has red hair. Cordially, Jack
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: That is not an answer to my question.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: I own a Royal Doulton Clown mug with white hair and a white collar and a Clown mug with white hair and a red collar. I am considering purchasing another Clown with red hair. All of these mugs Mugs appear to have the same D number. Yesterday I encountered a site that described sub numbering, possibly related to the handles. Can you provide any definitive information?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no photos of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the mark on the bottom and of the piece.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Once you do, give me some time to research.

No need to sit by the computer, you will get an email when I respond.

(NOTE: I do not participate in the phone service.)

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your answer is completely unresponsive to my question! I did not request an appraisal. Did you read my question? If you do not feel qualified to answer my question, just say so. Sincerely, ***** San Diego, CA

I understand. I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.
They will see our conversation. I am not able to respond once I opt-out. Good luck!

Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jack,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your Doulton jug question.

Clown Toby Jug (large) Orange/red Hair D.5610

The very first clown Toby jug, designed by Harry Fenton was issued from 1937 - c.1942. The British Design Registry (copyright) Rd No 810520 also appears below the backstamp, showing that this design was copyrighted late in the year of 1936. The standard colorway for this first edition was orange (a) hair and a black lined ruff, with a multi-colored motley stick handle and white face. Production ceased, as did almost all art pottery in the Staffordshire potteries during World War II, and factories concentrated on the production utilitarian china under the orders of the War Department. So no clowning around at Doulton until well after the war.

Clown Toby Jug (large) White Hair D 6322.

This post-World War II version was issued from 1951 - 1955 and the main colorway was white hair and a (b) red burgundy ruff and a flesh tone face (to lend contrast to the white hair and white face paint), but it's with this model, the D6322 where we see all the variants. There is one super-rare colorway, that has a (c) plain white ruff. It's illustrated on pages 88 and 89 of Steve Mullins 'A Century of Royal Doulton Character Jugs'. There's also rare white hair, white ruff variant with (d) pink details, most likely a so-called "experimental". These are usually backstamped Royal Doulton "trial" or "sample". Here's another experimental with red hair, red ruff and (e) black & yellow face paint.

There's another one with (f) brown hair, red ruff and red cheek paint.

One with (g) brown hair, red ruff & white cheek paint, marked "Sample".

Another with (h) black hair, black ruff and green face paint.

And another with (i) gold hair and face paint.

This is probably not an exhaustive list as new variants appear from time to time on eBay that no-one knew existed. And, as is always the way with the decorative arts and the creative temperament, consistency is not a strong suit. However I do hope this gives you an overview of this particular Doulton character jug.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance with this, I would be glad to.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Hi Jack,

I believe the "sub numbering" the listing refers may be the Rd Nos issued for the D6322 model, issued from 1951 - 1955 which are shape numbers that don't seem to vary with each colorway.

I'm not aware of any other markings other than those I covered above and the small number to the right of the mark which is a date cipher.

Hope this helps,

Best wishes,

Robert