Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

Pearl, I have an antique Japanese Sword which was

Customer Question

Hi, Pearl,
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have an antique Japanese Sword which was surrendered to my father in Burma at the end of hostilities in WW2. It comes with a Rising Sun 'pocket' flag. I'm considering selling this, but am confused to what I see on eBay - so called antiques selling for a couple of hundred dollars, and some that are asking up to $8,000. What would be a reasonable price? I could use the money, but I'd rather keep it for my son if it's not going to be worth very much.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Hmm... did my message disappear?
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 9 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

I'll need to see photos--is it possible to upload some?

Jennifer