Jon
Jon, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  I am an Expert in antique firearm appraisals. I am a collector of antiques. A trained gunsmith and firearms instructor.
66248244

I have my grandfathers what I think was a presentation

Customer Question

I have my grandfathers what I think was a presentation sword. He was a cadet at NMMI and graduated in 1929. The sword is etched with his name, THE M.C. LILLEY & CO COLUMBAS, O.,on one side U.S. on the other and other engraving on both sides ,as well as a hand guard and a black and steel handle. All the other swords by M.C. that I have found online do not have the hand guard, why is there a difference. Can you tell me how to find more information both he and my father died young so there is very little info.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: It still has the steel scabbard and dose not have a sharpened edge. I don't know what else might be personate to know. It survived two teenage boy but dose have one bar on the hand guard bent. Thank you Matthew
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Can you send me at least one photo?

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Kind regards,
Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Doris replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for your excellent photos.

Unfortunately, I cannot find an exact match here. I will release your question so that all the other professionals can choose to answer you with accuracy.
I want you to have the best answer possible. Releasing your question is called "opting-out." I will not be able to respond to you once I opt-out.
I am very sorry.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Jon replied 11 months ago.
Hi, my name is***** will do my best to help. Do you have a picture of your sword?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Judging by the fact that you did not get back to me let us try again. Here are the photos of the sword again.
1477607342618.jpg
1477607406587.jpg
1477607471254.jpg
1477607497559.jpg
1477607544781.jpg