Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a army ceremonial sword made by V. Allien & Co., New

Customer Question

I have a army ceremonial sword made by Henry V. Allien & Co., New York. Inscribed on it is the following "Presented to Lieut. H. Wilmerding Biddle by the Non Commissioned Officers of "K" Co., 7th Regt. N. G. N. Y. According to A. G. records of New York he made Lieutenant in 1909. Is the sword possibly valuable at all.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: My father in law had it in his closet for three decades at least. He told the family that he purchased the sword in the San Diego area in the late 1960's or early 1970's. My father-in-law died four years ago of cancer. He left it to my niece who recently sold it to us. She also sold me another sword with it. A 1860 Union Cavalry sabre, which was also in the closet it is date stamped 1862 C. E. W. on the hilt.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 12 months ago.

Sorry if you got a phone call pop-up, I don't send that, it's an automatic system thing. I actually prefer to work online only, and there is no hurry on my end.

Jennifer

Cancel that...wrong message! What I meant to say is...

Hi, my name is*****"m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is it possible to upload photos?

Jennifer