AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I found a painting for sale that is not in good condition.

Customer Question

I found a painting for sale that is not in good condition. Am interested in it and wanted to know who painted it, a little about it and what it is worth
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Glenda B. replied 12 months ago.

Hello

I wanted to let you know your question has been seen. If there is an expert that knows this painting and who might have painted it, they will pick it up. I will opt out so they can do that when they sign in.

Glenda

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 12 months ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser, and I'd be happy to help.

Is there a signature on the painting?

Can you upload the individual photos, rather than the composition image?

Sincerely,

Jennifer

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is signature. Cannot make out what it says
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is the painting
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This is shipping label and signature
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 11 months ago.

I have them. Please give me a little time to review. I will get back to you shortly!

Jennifer

The label is really hard for me to read because of the way it ripples, and because I can't enlarge that image. Can you just write the text for me? That will help me to date this. YOu're right, the signature is illegible.

Jennifer

Cancel that, I finally figured it out.

Au Spectre Solaire, 18, quai de l'Ecole et 38, rue Neuve Vivienne, Colcomb-Bourgeois

This is not a shipping stamp, but the maker of the paint colors. The stamp dates the painting to somewhere between 1849 and 1856, and makes it very likely French or German in origin.

This portrait is quite lovely, and would be even more so with proper cleaning and varnish removal--it's very, very darkened. Once the darkened varnish is removed, the signature can be read.

Given the quality, I feel there is a fair chance this is by a known artist. Unfortunately, given that photo, there is no way to tell.

If the artist is entirely unknown, the value in this condition would be perhaps $1,000.00. However, given the quality and the degree of darkening, that's a big unknown.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The seller thought the name started with a d or g and might end in tty. Don't know if that helps?

Not really, as much as I tried. I thought of the Y myself, but then many artists of the period would end with that swoop at the end of the name even without a Y--like Winterhalter. (Not that it's likely a Winterhalter, just an example.)

I went through the listings at the National Portrait Gallery, and there are so many that end with a Y and begin with a D or G...and we're not even sure that's right!

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/artA-Z/artd

http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/artA-Z/artg

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Don't know if this helps. Have tried to adjust contrast and color to make it easier to read. Will have to decide whether to buy it by tomorrow evening

My sincere apologies for the delay, my father was rushed to the hospital and I've been there with him. I will work on this right now.

Jennifer

I've just realized it's too late for the sale, so sorry. Do you want me to continue, or request a refund for you?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks anyway. Think I found out the answer. Think the artist was Etty. Didn't bid on it and wish I had as it only went for 1500