Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have a collection of my grandmother's mother's china and

Customer Question
Hi! I have a collection...
Hi! I have a collection of my grandmother's mother's china and am looking to value it. They are Fraureuth and each is numbered
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: I have some small plates, larger plates, serving pieces, etc. The design has gold and blue around the edge with eight rose designs that hare encased in an arc. I have one of the small plates with me now and it has the Fraureuth stamp, with "Fraureuth Germany" underneath and a number, in blue: 22540 with a 22 underneath it.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Antiques Appraiser should know?
Customer: Some of the numbers are red, some are blue.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
10/22/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Hello and welcome! My name is Doris.
I have been an antiques and art collector as well as a dealer and appraiser for over 56 years.
I will be pleased to help you.

Photos are almost always required to give an accurate assessment.

Please send me a photo of the marks on the bottom.

You may need to use the macro function (flower icon) of your camera to get a good clear photo of the marks.

If you cannot get a good photo, then sketch the marks and take a photo of the sketch.

To send photos you may use the "add files" in the blue box link on your reply page or the "paper clip" found in the toolbar you see on your reply page.
Please do not send in ZIP format. The jpg or jpeg format works best.

An explanation of this method can be found here:

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Also, please send a photo of the pattern.

"Sets" come in many different sizes.

Please tell me the following . I need exact information.

How many people does your set serve?

How many pieces does each person have?

What serving pieces are there? These can add as much as 30% to the value of a set.
Kind regards,
Doris

Kind regards,
Doris

I look forward to your seeing your photos of the marks and the pattern.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you, ***** ***** will work on getting all this info together. Will reply back when I have it.

That's excellent!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi. I hope this works. For future reference, can I send through dropbox? Instead of how many people they serve (because I don't have the whole 12 piece set) I put the quantity (like 4) on the pieces before photographing them and then I included the bottom markings of only one in the stack, if that makes sense. The numbers all vary. If you have any questions, let me know. Thank you for your help.
Nine large dinner plates.jpgNine la...jpgBottom of one large dinn...jpgBottom...jpgFour smaller dinner plates.jpgFour sm...jpgBottom of one small dinn...jpgBottom...jpgOval serving w lid.jpgOval se...jpgBottom oval serving.jpgBottom...jpgRound Serving w lid.jpgRound S...jpgBottom round serving.jpgBottom...jpgOval 6in serving.jpgOval 6i...jpgBottom Oval 6in serving.jpgBottom...jpgFive pudding bowls.jpgFive pu...jpgBottom of one pudding bowl.jpgBottom...jpgFour saucers.jpgFour sa...jpgBottom of one saucer.jpgBottom...jpg

I see 4 pictures for 9 dinner plates and 4 smaller plates and their marks.

Are there any other pieces to this set? You can list them if they are the same pattern.

You do not need to send more pictures of pieces in this pattern - just a list.

Kind regards,

Doris

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Doris. Wow... I sent quite a few pictures, and four got through. Ok, so I have nine large plates, four smaller dinner plates, a sugar bowl, two large serving bowls: one round, one oval (with lids), four saucers, five "pudding bowls", a small oval serving dish, and a round lid (no bottom). All of these have with different number series' on the back of each.

The mark for the Fraureuth firm, located in Saxony, Germany, dates 1928-1935.

Your set of this pattern has an estimated retail value of $425-470 assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for where to sell.....If you want to sell quickly at wholesale prices, try one of these sites.
I do not know where you live so I will make suggestions for three countries.

In US:
ChinaLane.com
ChinaFinders.com
ChinaReplacements.com

In UK:
ChinaSearch.co.uk
MatchingChina.co.uk
ChinaMatchers.co.uk
ReplaceYourPlates.co.uk
ReplaceYourChina.com

Australia: http://www.allthegalleries.com/dealers/porcelain.html

Online auctions like eBay generally bring wholesale selling prices.

If you would like to sell close to estimated retail, some ideas are:

The internet has your largest audience of buyers. Place small ads on these sites or set up your own small store on these sites.

Be sure to specify local pick up only for large items. That way the buyer would be responsible for obtaining his own insurance and transport.

These sites carry antique as well as vintage items.
Accept PayPal only.

Etsy.com - small fees - 20 cents to list plus 3.5% final price.
Artfire.com
Bonanza.com

Or your nearest CraigsList.com where you can list items for free. Accept cash only.

These sites are excellent and more upscale but fees are higher. I only recommend them if you have several items to sell.
GoAntiques.com
Rubylane.com
Tias.com
cyberattic.com
trocadero.com

HOW TO PACK AND SEND CHINA:

China is best packed with 2 paper plates between the plates, platters and saucers. Then wrap a few plates together with several layers of bubble wrap. Tape the loose ends of the bubble wrap together.
For cups and bowls, wrap separately with a couple of layers of bubble wrap.

Put a several inch layer of crunched newspaper in the bottom of each packing box.

Arrange the heavier items on the newspaper first. Then add the cups and small bowls on top of the heavier pieces.

In a second box, crunched newspaper, stacked plates face up, not on edges followed by lighter items.

Before putting the newspaper in the bottoms, reinforce the bottom and sides of a strong corrugated box with cut corrugated sheets (cut from another box). Then start with the crunched newsprint.

After filling each box up to about 5 inches from the top, put several inches of crunched newsprint on the top of the stacked china.

Firmly tape the box closed with several layers of tape.

Write two things on all the sides of the boxes - "Fragile" and "Top" with arrows pointing to the top.

On the top, write "This side up."

For expensive items, the Postal service will allow one to purchase higher insurance.

If possible, ship two-day service. This eliminates long trips with boxes transferred from truck to truck.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-50% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thank you.

You are welcome.

I wish the value could be higher.

I am only credited by JA for my work on this question if you rate my answer positively, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser