Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
51883380

I have a coffee and tea pot which are very old. The on the

Customer Question

I have a coffee and tea pot which are very old. The mark on the bottom is a diamond shape, with a crown in it and numbers. The crown and diamond are the same but stamped slightly differently so they are done manually. The number is ***** even though it is obvious they were done by the same silversmith. They are a very ornate Fleur de Lis pattern. The pot tops have a crown or flower pattern on the top. The feet joined into leaf patterns. My family are Huguenots. Is it likely these are pots done in the late 1600 or during the 1700's by French silversmith, working in England, and where in England would this be. Is there any way to trace the numbers. I have tried.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 12 months ago.

Hi Betty,

My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your teapot & coffee pot.

Thanks for the interesting description and the photo.

Could you very kindly attach a clear photo of the marks and we'll go from there.

Many thanks,
Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
it is not perfectly clear. There is too much flashback. The numbers across width is 6704. Under the 7 is a 4. Under the Diamond at the base of it is a deep L. Thanks very much. Depending on what you find, I may want something done for insurance purposes. Thanks. Betty
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The coffee pot is tall and the number on it is 6704 across. On top of the diamond is a 2. Under the 7 is a 6. Nothing underneath.I don't think I have a picture of it but I will have a look.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I did some of the coffee pot.

Thanks Betty for the extra photos, I may be able to work with those, but if you can get me a clearer one of the mark, that would really help.

Try using the macro setting on the camera. That's the little flower icon:

http://i.imgur.com/rsWnLOf.jpg

The one of the coffee pot is beautifully sharp. If you did one as clear as that of the bottom (from a distance where it's in focus) I could zoom in and enlarge it my end and be able to see the marks perfectly.

Many thanks,
Robert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay. Will dol.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I shut the lights off and did it without a flash. I think its quite good.
Expert:  Robert S. replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much for trying, Betty, it's still a bit blurry, but I'll see what I can do.

I can't make out the numbers in the diamond. Could you read those off for me.

Also there seem to be some writing to the right of the diamond? Can you read me what those say too.

Many thanks,

Robert.

PS> If you could get me a photo of the entire bottom as wonderfully sharp as the one you took of the coffee pot (don't go close) I can do the zooming and enlarging on the mark myself this end. Hope this makes sense. R

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The numbers across width is 6704. Under the 7 within the diamond is the number 4. Under the Diamond at the base of it is a deep LThe Coffee Pot has the 6704, with a 2 over the Diamond, no number under it. Directly under the 7 in the diamond, the number is *****

Thanks! Leave this with me and I'll get back to you with a full answer as soon as I can.

Have a great night!

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Robert, I have been charged for the service and they want my survey answers re how great the service was, but I have no answer yet. Can you please advise what is happening, if I missed something?

I'm sorry not to have responded until now, you haven't missed anything. I've been working on your question but have not had any luck in tracking down this teapot and its mark. I think the maker is probably unidentifiable as it's not in any of my references for English, French or Continental silver, indeed it may be a silverplate mark rather than a sterling silver mark and even so, is not showing up as such.

So, even though your credit card has been charged, you do not owe JustAnswers a penny, nor should you be charged anything unless or until you accept an answer, and since I haven't given you an answer, that process shouldn't even have begun.

So I urge you to contact Customer Support, phone number 1.***-***-**** to have them refund your credit card and your good faith $5 deposit, both of which you are owed since you did not get an answer.

I wish I could have been more help.

Best wishes,
Robert.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks very much. I had great hopes. Thanks a lot. I will contact them for the refund.

Thanks :)