ExpertAppraiser
ExpertAppraiser, Accredited Appraiser
Experience:  USPAP appraiser: art, antiques, coins and collectibles.
59032044

I just discovered an oil painting dated 1949 by C. Arthur

Customer Question

I just discovered an oil painting dated 1949 by C. Arthur Copson in my basement. Is it valuable?
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Tell us what else you do know and the Antiques Appraiser will be able to better assist you.
Customer: There is a title on the back "The Hills of Home" by C. Arthur Copson, 1949. Also, a typed message from the people who gave the painting to a woman named Vina in May, 1949.
JA: Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: The painting is very dirty and has an owie.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  ExpertAppraiser replied 9 months ago.

Thanks for the question! Clyde Arthur Copson was an artist active in the mid-20th century and unfortunately, his work doesn't sell at auction. The value of these types of regional paintings by artists that are listed, but not in museum collections or sold at auction is generally very modest (typically American Regional landscapes sell for $75 to $250) but those of quality can sell for more.

Following-up since I noticed that you reviewed your answer, but elected not to rate it.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort. Customer ratings are the only way that experts receive credit for helping customers.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars and bonus gives me the best rating.

This will close out the question and allow me to assist others, as I assisted you.

Following-up one final time to see if I can be of further assistance on this question or if something went wrong that's keeping you from rating my professionalism.