How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Great House Antiques Your Own Question
Great House Antiques
Great House Antiques, Appraiser/ Researcher/ Entrepreneur
Category: Antiques
Satisfied Customers: 2191
Experience:  30+ years in all aspects of the Antiques and Decorative Arts Industry
Type Your Antiques Question Here...
Great House Antiques is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Royal Doulton plate that my mother bought,(new I

Customer Question

I have a Royal Doulton plate that my mother bought,(new I think) with her first pay when she was 16 back in the mid 40's.It's one that is for display I assume.It,s bone china and has a country style view with a cottage on one side and a road running past the cottage,there is a stand of trees on the other side.It looks like it's been hand painted.I can just make out what looks like brush strokes.Next to the back-stamp is the number 20.Can you tell me anything more about it?...Thank you for your time.
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: Only that there doesn't seem to be a signature that is obvious.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Robert S. replied 9 months ago.

Hi! My name is ***** ***** I would be happy to help with your mum's Doulton plate.

Thanks for the description, it sounds interesting but I'll need to see it to be of best use to you. Could you very kindly attach a photo and one of the entire back of the plate so I can see the mark.

Also, how big is it (diameter of the plate)?

Many thanks,


PS. Once you have the photos in your computer (if you are using a smart phone camera, just email them to yourself) it's then a simple matter to attach them. Just click on the paperclip icon, located above the text box where you are typing to me. If there's no paperclip, click on the "Add files" tab.

You need to be logged in to the JustAnswer site to do this. You can’t do it from email.

If you get stuck go here for help.

Alternatively, if you can collar a passing teenager with an iPhone they would have photos posted here in about two minutes.

Thanks R.