Rarewares
Rarewares, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Antiques dealer for over 10 years specializing in porcelain, glass, art, furniture, coins, watches, sterling silver, pocket watches, and jewelry.
68269273

I'd like you opinion of a signed 1918 vase that at first

I'd like you opinion of a signed 1918 vase that at first appearance reminded me of something 'similar' to Newcomb & Arts & Crafts. The piece is imbossed with "JAPAN. The landscape doesn't look like a Japanese style. There 3 hand painted Peacocks around under the landscape. What is that Building that at first looks like it's was supposed to be a windmill? I've Google searched for months trying to find a building that looked like this. It's signed on the bottom Yerda Moffit 1918. This is such a challenge and so interesting. I've 3 pictures I'd like to send for your interest. Patricia in Seattle
JA: I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
Customer: I don't understand your answer. "I always love having an appraiser look at my stuff. Sometimes its turned out to be surprisingly valuable.
JA: Don't you just love the idea of finding something valuable in your attic? I do, but I think all I have up there is junk my brothers abandoned before they left home. Always a good idea to check things with the Antiques Appraiser, though. Is there anything else the Antiques Appraiser should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so. Is there a way to send a picture?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Actually, I'd prefer to send you a photo of the vase including the signed base. I don't have a mobile phone. The only way to answer is via by email at Comcast. I'd like an estimate value.

Thank you for choosing JustAnswer. My name is Rarewares.

You can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.
Use the same email that you used when creating your account so that they will recognize you.
These do not arrive instantly, so thanks in advance for some patience when sending this way (might be overnight).

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I tried doing that last night. Attach .jpgs pictures. Every time I did the attaché, the photo was pasted directly on my email instead of an attachment. I got tired of repeating this and felt it would be better today.
Haven't time now but will when I get back home today. Thank you.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Now, I'm advised to select a star rating before I click "submit". Also, I'm unable to do that and unable to click submit!. Oh what a day this is! And to make matters worse, i'm having a hard time finding the pictures of the vase on my computer. I'll try this later today. Forgive me for being lame.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl

Above are some instructions that should help.

If that is too much bother, you can email pictures to***@******.*** and put 'for rarewares in antiques' in the subject line.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It's a new morning. I hope to made some progress on adding photos. I'm correcting the spelling of the artist to Verda Moffit NOT Yerda. I want some confirmation of my opinion such as looking somewhat like a Newcomb or Arts & Crafts. This artist I discovered is from the Eastern side of Washington State. I looked up in various ways the name Verda in Google. Only one has always come up. It's a Dutch name. My other questions is What do you think of that building? I've tried looking at windmills in several countries. One at a time. The part of the bldg. that looks like a "V" is exasperating me. With the age and the skills of the artist (I don't feel she's a professional) what would be the value of this. Thank you and I hope when I click SEND it'll go without any problem. Patricia
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Great! it looks like I succeeded.

This is a Japanese earthenware vase that was bought

by Verda Hardesty Moffat (1887-1964). She was born in Rosalia, Washington

and was part of the Moffat Drug Store family. While not an artist by trade,

she hand -painted this vase in 1918 as a hobby, which most ladies did

as a past time back then. A studio artist would sign within the art on the

vase but a hobby artist would sign and date on the bottom of the vase or porcelain item.

The building actually looks to be symbol

of the Mason's compass and not a windmill. This vase has a current value of

$75.00 retail.

Some sites that I recommend for selling are Varagesale.com, Ioffer.com, OfferUp.com, Ebay and letgo.com.
You can also go to invaluable.com or liveauctioneers.com and search their directory for an auction house near you and consign to them.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thank you. It's amazing to me you found that information so fast. I'd like to ask you something. I'm wondering if the symbol was altered to make it look something other than a Masonic symbol. For instance the fence (?) around it. Also there's a horizontal line across the symbol that I don't see on the many Google Masonic symbols. Do you think that's odd?

Since she was the artist, it was her interpretation of the symbol. I

don't find it odd, really, just maybe artistic license.

Do please click the stars for me and hit submit, good feedback for the expert is so important here. Thanks!