Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

3ft x3ft oil on canvas signed N Mercer - a sailing yacht in

Customer Question
sweeping lines of aquamarine and...
3ft x3ft oil on canvas signed N Mercer - a sailing yacht in sweeping lines of aquamarine and black
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Antiques
10/18/2016
Antique Expert: Doris, Antiques Appraiser replied 1 year ago
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser
Experience: Antiques store owner 10+yrs.Best of City Two Years. Collector 56+yrs.USPAP compliant. Member AOA.Founded part of antiques, silver & art collection at local museum.

Biography from Arslonga

"Norman Mercer was born on July 17, 1916 in New York City. In 1936, the early years of the plastics industry and towards the end of the Depression, Norman Mercer designed plastic handles for stainless steel flatware. Due to his novel designs, he was able to found his own company in 1939, calling it Englishtown Cutlery Ltd., located in Englishtown, NJ. After which success, his firm was contracted to manufacture the pieces, which would be sold throughout the United States. Norman also served on the War Production Board at the request of the Roosevelt Administration- a volunteer position he held for two presidential administrations.

A successful businessman with forty three years of experience in the plastics industry, Norman set his sights on the "yet to be explored realms"[1] of plastics, which accorded "ultra-modern possibilities"[2] in the innovation of art. After his retirement at the age of 62, Norman attended the Parsons School of Design from 1979-1981, where he studied acrylic construction under Professor Allen Dubinsky and drawing and painting under Andrea Zakin.

The aesthetics and the technical challenges inherent within the medium, from the alchemical transformation of the powder, the casting of the resin and the final sanding and polishing of sculpture warranted Norman's complete and total involvement from start to finish.

His devoted exploration of and enthusiasm for transparent acrylics allowed for large industry to regularly call on his expertise in the medium. From 1981 to 2007, Norman created unique and one-of-a-kind sculpture in his East Hampton, NY studio; ranging in size from 3.5 inches to 12 feet. Acrylic sculpture were produced in a myriad of colors and familiar shapes such as the cube, square, rhomboid, triangle, spiral, circle, trapezoid and multi-faceted polygons and columns.

Throughout his career, Norman exhibited in group and solo shows internationally. His work can be found in public, corporate, and private collections throughout the world."

Also:

Norman Mercer

(1916 - 2007)

"Norman Mercer was active/lived in New York, New Jersey. Norman Mercer is known for plastics design, drawing, painting, acrylic construction sculpture."

When assessing an artist's work, appraisers must look at completed sales of works by the same artist. Art gallery sales prices are private.
We must then go to auction sales prices which are public. When using comparable work by the same artist, medium, subject matter and size are factors to be considered.
Appraisers most often use price per square inch of previously sold comparable works by the same artist as a measure of value.

Using this widely accepted method of assessment. I was able to determine an estimated auction value of &1200-1500 for your painting assuming good condition and depending on sale geographic location.

As for retail value, I have seen art sell for 4 to 5 times auction values depending on the tastes of the art gallery owner as well as location of the gallery.

In general, a private seller to a dealer, via consignment or at auction can expect 30-60% of estimated retail value.

Insurance replacement values are usually about 10% more than retail values.

If you wish to sell, these are my suggestions -

The internet has your widest pool of buyers. To sell close to estimated retail try the following -

Try ads on sites such as

https://www.artbrokerage.com/help/selling-art

http://www.rubylane.com/art

http://www.askart.com/Ads_Individual.aspx

https://www.artnet.com/auctions/all-artworks/?utm_campaign=bannerad&utm_source=080514auctionsevergreen&utm_medium=link

http://www.artvalue.com

http://www.artprice.com/marketplace/sell-an-artwork

Some like Etsy.com where you can set up your store for free and the selling fees are small - 20 cents to list an item plus 3.5% of the final price.

Or list with no fees whatsoever:

http://forum.findartinfo.com/default.asp?CAT_

I hope I have helped you.

If I can help you with further questions about this answer, please let me know before you rate me.

All my answers are quoted in USA dollars.

I endeavor to give realistic, honest answers in a timely manner.

Please take a little time to give me a POSITIVE RATING NOW SO THAT I AM CREDITED BY JA for my knowledge, time and effort.

Please do not rate me down because of system difficulty.

Please let me know if you have difficulty with the site's rating system. To rate me, you should see 5 stars near my answer. 5 stars gives me the best rating.

Kind regards.

Doris

If you would like to use me on any future questions, requesting me expires in a short time. If you put "For Doris Only" as the first of three words of the question, most professionals on the site will respect that request.

Hi there!

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help or do you have more questions about your item that would help?

Kind regards,
Doris

Doris
Doris
Doris, Antiques Appraiser