AppraiserJM
AppraiserJM, Antiques and Collectibles Researcher
Experience:  Certified Appraiser, Appraiser's Association of America. USPAP qualified through 2015.
30223878

I'm trying to find information about an artist named Bernard

Customer Question

I'm trying to find information about an artist named Bernard John Worsen born 1927, I believe he painted maritime themes
Category: Antiques
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There was only the photo of the piece that came with your original inquiry.
Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of a label on the back if there is one.

The confusion is that the signature is B. Worden but you are asking about a Bernard John Worsen, so the two don't match.

Let me know if that was a typo (and if there is anything on the back or where you got that name).

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you have experience in working with this type of art? It was not listed in your bio. If not can someone else review my question. He signed this painting B Worden. I tried adding another picture but it is not working...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It looks like it did attach
Expert:  Rarewares replied 1 year ago.

I do have experience in art appraisals. This is not a listed artist, not can I find this artist

as a regional artist, so I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer. They will

see your photos and out conversation. I can't respond once I opt-out. Best wishes!

Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is*****'m a certified appraiser and I'd be happy to help.

The first question is: how did you get from B. Worden to Bernard John Worden or Bernard John Worsen? Did you do your own research, were you told that by the seller, etc.? That helps me know where to research first.

Jennifer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Some of Bernard John Worden's work is at the Maritime Museum in Cornwall England. The signatures appear to match. I am trying to find out the value of his work and the value of my piece. He was born in1927. There appears to be no bio in searching Google.

Thanks for the update. I'll research this and get back to you when I have more answers--sometimes it takes a bit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you

I do think you are correct that this is by the Cornish artist, Bernard John Worden, born 1927 and residing in Redruth, Cornwall. And you are correct that no other biographical information seems to be available. He is really only known for the two pieces held in their Maritime museum in Cornwall and the Guildhall gallery. But even searching the databases of those two venues, there is nothing additional to add.

Running through the databases, I have found some sales of paintings signed by "B. Worden," where the auction house did not know or care to research the full name. These sales tend to max out at around $100.00.

With proper attribution to the artist's full name and a mention of the museum holding, I think a resale value would go as high as $300.00, but not much beyond this as he is not an artist with a current sales standing or even much biographical information, despite a review of many databases.

Bernard John WORDEN

1927—

Paintings by this artist form part of the collection of the National Maritime Museum, Falmouth.

details

Bernard John WORDEN

gender:

male

media:

Painter in acrylics of maritime subjects

references:

Public Catalogue Foundation (2007) Cornwall & the Isles of Scilly: Oil Paintings in Public Ownership;

works and access:

Works incl: 'Chellew' Steamer Unloading into Barges in the Carrick Roads (1997); 'St Denys' at Work;

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  AppraiserJM replied 12 months ago.

You're welcome, sorry I couldn't find more!

Jennifer