How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wayne Your Own Question
Wayne, Auctioneer
Category: Antiques
Satisfied Customers: 3959
Experience:  40 yrs. experience in antiques, jewelry, coins and paintings - ASA 1985
Type Your Antiques Question Here...
Wayne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need a Cloisonné expert. I have a piece of Champlaise that

Customer Question

I need a Cloisonné expert. I have a piece of Champlaise that is different it's clear through and through but this piece has enamel on the bottom only and the glass isn't the same from one side to the other. It is glass pieces as expected but not the same piece through one side to the other?
Like two different slivered layers? One on outside one on inside of the 'bowl'?
There is an inset of a butterfly in the bottom.
Submitted: 9 months ago.
Category: Antiques
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It has been referred to as 'important ' by an antique dealer in San Antonio who has never seen one like this before?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 9 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I would love to help. There were no pictures that came with your question.
I think you are referring to Champleve'? Please use the Add Files feature on your screen to add pictures of the item.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I added photos and it is not Champleve'. I have a second photo that is but this is totally different. I'll try pics again. First question is the mystery piece?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Side. IF you read my my descriptions maybe you'll understand the difference
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Outer view again
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Did these come through? Both types in 2 questions?
Expert:  Rarewares replied 9 months ago.

If you hold the bowl to daylight, does the light shine through like a stained glass window?

If so, that is called plique-a-jour cloisonne. This plique a jour (a technique meaning pieces of daylight) cloisonne bowl is Chinese, dating

to circa 1900 and has a value of $200 to $300.

There is not a technique called Champlaise when referring to enamel, glass and metal work.

I do hope that helps with your mystery piece!
To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top right of your screen and hit the green submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, that is the one in the other question. I sent pictures of that one. This one is not see through and no light through it.
Expert:  Rarewares replied 9 months ago.

If there is no light showing through then is is

Chinese cloisonne' with glass over metal instead of enamel over metal,

which was also one of the cloisonne techniques. This bowl

has a current value of $200 to $300 retail and would date from 1900 to 1920.

To finish, I will need you to click the five stars at the top of your screen and hit the submit button, thanks!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It is glass inside and out! Only enamel is on the bottom and inside the bottom is a butterfly. It looks glass over glass
Expert:  Rarewares replied 9 months ago.

I will opt-out and allow another expert to answer.

Expert:  Wayne replied 9 months ago.

My name is***** have been dealing in and appraising Antiques for over 40 years, and I can help you with this. This is Chinese export circa 1920 this is Cloisonné. It is enamel over copper with wires soldered to define the design. Then this is fired in a kiln and the enamel melts to a high gloss. The bottom is just plain blue enamel, a lot of times the bottom is stamped in ink with a Qing Dynasty mark of "China".

Similar pieces in quality, age, and design are selling for $200-300 at auction.



Please click on the Stars*****When you read this answer

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks, Wayne.
I'm a collector of Cloisanne and this is like any I've seen. As I said, the inside glass is totally separate from the outside. So it seems it has to be double glass. If it were one layer you'd see the same flower shapes both inside and outside. As I said it's nothing I've seen or appraisers of Cloisanne? I understand the usual technique of enameled Cloisanne as well as Champleve. I sent a photo of the piece of that I have. More like stained glass. I've looked online for years and finally asked an expert about the piece who had never seen a piece of Cloisanne like this one. It must be some sort of different technique? I would like to see more to compare. Like Champleve which is a type of Cloisanne I'm assuming, it should have some other name to differentiate it from what is considered traditional Cloisanne? Do you know what it's called?
Expert:  Wayne replied 9 months ago.


You are correct this is done with 2 different types of enamel. One is powered enamel applied and fired, which is used on most Chinese cloisonné. The other is Vitreous enamel, also called porcelain enamel, is a material made by fusing powdered glass to a substrate by firing, usually between 750 and 850 °C (1,380 and 1,560 °F). The powder melts, flows, and then hardens to a smooth, durable glass like fInish.

There is no term that I know of other than cloisonné to describe the overall process.



Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm sure there must be a term for the technique, at least? I've never seen it nor anyone but another Just Answer expert. I've asked her the name as well. I've not heard back yet.
So why is there not more around? Cloisonne must be waiting for its day, because it is getting more scarce, in all my travels.
I really think it must have a name, though?