Antiques

Have Antique Repair Questions? Ask an Antique Appraiser

Antiques

I have an Antique Bronze floor Lamp. It is all detailed from

Hello, I have an Antique Bronze...
I have an Antique Bronze floor Lamp. It is all detailed from top to bottom with art work. It is a lantern in the middle. The top is held with snake face and body with mouth open on each side as a support for the carved lantern. It has a base that holds the curled snake tail.One like ball on each side under the base top part of the lamp. A round disk carved between the two balls. Then the carved neck goes all the way down to the base that hold the lamp together. The floor base is all carved and has 4 dog like faces. One on each corner. They look like bull dogs. Four claws on the floor part of the lamp. I do have pictures. Thank you. Peter # cell 205-603- 4224.. Alabama.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/16/2016
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Experience: 40+ yrs. Experience, 40+yrs.Dealer buying/selling antiques.14+ yrs. Antique Store Owner. Member of AOA, AADA. Advanced studies in Antiques at University of Arkansas at Little Rock.

Hello, my name is Glenda
.

Are you wanting the current market value?

Do you have pictures you can send?
.

If your message box has a blue box that says "attach file" or a paper clip icon you can use that to upload photos. If not then Click the link: for instructions on uploading images
.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-hl
.

Or you can send them like this: In an Email! This can take awhile depending on how busy they are at Just answer, they do forward them to me.
.
Send the picture to ,***@******.***, in the subject line put " Pictures for Glenda B in Antiques".
.
In the body of the message put , your user name and name.
.
Make sure to send these from the same address that you registered with just answer with , so they know who you are. If you send from a phone the email address on the phone you use has to match the email address you used to register on the justanswer site with.
.
Sometimes it can take over 24hrs, depending on how busy the site is. We the appraisers are not employees of the Just Answer site, we come to the site to answer questions, we do not work there. They get photos in from customers, they then send them to the correct departments ( categories, ) then they are forwarded to the appraisers. I have no control over how fast all of this happens. I will let you know as soon as they send them to me.
.
Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda

• I need an e-mail address to send the pictures of the lamp. I am not that good on the computer and don't know any other way it can be sent. My acct. # 96717813.

• Thank you Peter

Hello

I supplied the email address with my initial response, I am not sure why that was not visibile.

You can send it here:

.
.
.
.
Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda,

I did not see it on the first respond. Thank you for sending me the information. I will try to send it on the second information you sent me. there will be a total of 3 pictures. The lamp is been said to be rare and only a few were made. I have had 5 antique dealers and a few were owners, and no one has been able to give me an idea on its value or history.

Thank you. Peter

Peter

I will let you know as soon as they forward them to me.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda B.

Thank you for your response. Please let me know when you get the pictures. They were 6 pictures instead of 3 sent to you on the lamp.I am eager to here what your expertise on the lamp.I also would like to get a value on it when you can provide it.

Thank you Peter

I will thanks

Hello Peter

I received the pictures thank you. Does this have any markings to indicate a maker on it? Are you sure it is Bronze? This appears to have been electrified after the fact. So I am sure this was a candle or gas light.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda,

Thank you. Could not find any markings. Looked everywhere. I was told that it was a bronze. I got this Lamp from a 100 million dollar estate. He traveled all over Europe. Yes, it was either a candle or gas. I think it was candle. The thin like frosted very thin glass if that is what it is makes me think it was candle. The whole lamp is very detailed , from the pictures, i sent you , you may not see it as well. The pole is carved and not smooth like other lamps. Thank you Peter

Hello

Thanks Peter, I cannot imagine why the maker did not mark this or at least the foundry that poured the bronze. But, we run into this so much, very nice antiques with no markings at all. I will see what I can find, if there is one like yours in any of the data bases, and auctions we pay to access or at least one close to it that has sold so I can obtain a value.

I will be respond to you as soon as I find the value.

Glenda

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda,

I was told from one of the dealers, that I forgot to mention, that someone had taken a lamp just like mine to " The Antique road show." It looked just like mine. I have tried to see if I could find this person but have had no luck. I am not sure how to look up the information without knowing what to call the lamp or not know where it was made at. Maybe you might have better luck than I would Looking in to this information. Since this what you are great at. When you find out, could you Let me know the Name, History & $. Also If I could get a buyer for it. Thank you Peter

Hello

I can tell you this is called a Gothic Victorian Lamp, I cannot tell you the history because it is not marked, it is most likely from France! It is from the 1800's. I am looking for values now, I have sent some pictures to a few appraisers who also sell at antique shows, they are going to look in their sales to get a value of what has sold most recent. I will be able to give you the value tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Glenda,

You have been a great help to me. I Thank you for Taking the time from you very busy scheudule to help me with this. One more thing, when you give me your appraisal Is there anyway that I can get something on line so i will have a copy from my printer To keep on file. How would be the best way to advertise the sell of this.

Once we solve this mystery, I have another project for you. Let me know how i can ask for you for this one.I have Griffin statue fountain, I am having a Problem on this as well. I have had a man from art works in New York That told me that I had an original, or one of the best copy he has ever seen. That will be the next project. Thank you again Peter Talk tomorrow.

Good Morning Peter,

I will be glad to take a look at that. After you have rated this one, just submit a new question addressed " Glenda I need your Help" I will see this and pick it up.

.

You can print this answer for your files, just copy it then chose print.

.

On your Antique Lamp, here is what we found. It is Victorian Gothic, from the mid to late 1800's at one time it would have been lit by either a candle or there could have been a small pot that held kerosene inside the glass area, then you lit the wick. This light was most likely produced in France, imported to the United States or brought here by an immigrant. The Light is a one of a kind very unique light, and as such it has an estimated market value of

$3***-**-****.00. The insurance value ( cost replacement ) would be about 50% higher then that. It is very possible that this light could bring much more then this depending on where it was for sale at, and who might bid on it if at auction. I could see someone paying as much as 5000.00 for this.

.

Keep in mind that not all estimated values are obtained, your geographic area plays a big role in what prices can be obtained. If you plan on selling this I would list this for sell on the internet where it will have the largest shopping market. There are some great sites you can sell from.
.
If you sell to a dealer, antique shop or resell shop you can expect to get about 30-40% of what it is worth since they have to resell the item.
.
Please ask any question you might have about your answer before rating this.
.
It was a pleasure working for you. If you have more items you would like to ask me about, just start a new question addressed to "Glenda" it would be my pleasure to help you.
.

Glenda,
.
If you do not mind rating this I would greatly appreciate it.
.
Clicking the top star on the top left of the page does this
.
Thank you for taking time to rate this.
.
If you find you have a problem being able to rate me, please let me know.

Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser
Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Gleda,

Thank you for all your hard work. I will need your help on the next item that i had mentioned to you. I am at work and I have to get all my pictures together and notes. I will be asking for your expertise again . Thank you again.

Peter

Peter

You are very welcome. Just be sure to send it as a new question. Address it to "Glenda "

Glenda B.
Glenda B.
Glenda B., Antiques Appraiser